What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli windowsill update

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
here is a picture of my Heliamphora heteradoxa x nutans from 12/27/08.
When I got the plant it had 3 pitchers and no roots.

Close-up-CPs-007.jpg

Here's a pic I took after I re-potted the plant to a larger pot a few weeks ago. I think I may have made a mistake by not dividing when I re-potted it, it's been going nuts growing new pitchers. I think it really like the feedings of mealworms I give it.

cps-001.jpg

Wow the magic window is still producing amazing plants! What are your temps like for this guy? let me know when you decide to divide it too.

Wow! always wanted one of those.

Mealworms eh? I'm gonna have to give them a whirl. So far my plants have been starved of anything in their pitchers

I hear helis are heavy feeders so i drop crickets into mine...looks pretty nasty on the inside!

Yeah anytime I see one that's been grown outdoors the fluid is always super black, my neps don't even do that and they're the ones with the enzymes!

By "magic window", is that referring to the glass doors?

I've got the same glass doors with southern exposure. My Heli and a few other things took a beating outside.

Picture002-17.jpg

That's a beautiful plant, Steve, but when, oh when, are you going to stop turning everyone's world upside down? Ever since I saw the way you grow your neps I have been growing many of mine "all naked" (i.e.: exposed, sans glassy apparel) and I've been really pleased with the results. You were right. Now you are doing it with helis! Where will it end?

But seriously, when you say your plants took a beating outside, do you mean from storms? I've noticed your area has gotten really pounded quite a few times since spring. It's like you have a bull's eye painted on the green.

Thanks for the comments.
I've got the same glass doors with southern exposure. My Heli and a few other things took a beating outside.

Picture002-17.jpg
Scott,
I do not think you are supposed to use a magnifying glass to try to intensify the sunlight for your plants. :-))

I would think growing a heli outside would not be good for it.
I just fried a new one I got :-( because the tank got hotter then I thought it did. It hit 88-89 degrees. I thought the old withering pitchers was from the shock of shipping, and small root mass to support the growth. Then when the nice green growth point started to brown, I knew I had serious trouble.
I should have placed it on the windowsill with this plant... oh well, live and learn.

I had it on the window sill, but not on my version of a "magic widow". It did fine... although I couldn't get much color... not like Butch, et al. So I tried in in a Sterilite container, in the bog next door. The temps were cool but the critters were mean to it and the other plants. So I put the survivors on the porch, which is like yours. The birds continued to get into the pots. So today I moved the Heli and the U. alpina tp the grow rack. They look horrible. Hopefully, Photobucket won't change the pictures on me!

Picture004-7.jpg
MIA Hummer

Picture006-1.jpg
Window sill

Picture002-14.jpg
Bog

Picture007-13.jpg

Picture002-10.jpg

Back