What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia californica varieties

Hello friends,

I've recently become interested in the Cobra Lilly.

I'm wondering about the two varieties out there. I live in San Diego, on top of a hill with constant breeze. It doesn't get too hot here, the low 80s are the normal highs for summer.

So what variety, the mountain or the coastal would grow best here? We don't have a very cold winter, but we have warm summers.

Maybe we can't grow them at all? What do you think?

Thanks!

EDIT: If you want to just skip to the photo section, click here.

Last edited:
You should be able to grow either, although I think the common wisdom is that the mountain strains are easier in general. I don't all too much believe there's a huge difference if you're getting a seed-grown plant; I tend to subscribe to the theory that it's tissue-cultured Darlingtonia that are particularly finicky. My plants have endured a tremendous amount of abuse and they're coastal varieties, apparently.
~Joe

Either variety would serve you well in San Diego, since both the coastal and mountain populations see similar temperatures and weather . . .

Technically these are neither varieties nor forms as there are no morphological differences between the two populations.

Your daytime air temperatures are not that important as long as you keep the root/soil temperatures below 83F (29C). And a good night time temperature drop would be helpful - it might even be necessary for the long term welfare of the plants.

Peter D'Amato notes this species can be successfully grown on the California coast all the way down to San Diego.

I'm in Long Beach / Not to far from Diego
I've tried growing them a few times with no luck & finally gave up on trying
Even tried spray painting the pots white
But hey it could just be me

[/QUOTE]Peter D'Amato notes this species can be successfully grown on the California coast all the way down to San Diego.[/QUOTE]

But he also talks about watering them with refrigerated water or using ice cubes

Good Luck
Hope you can get some to grow for you
Wish I could

DC

I grow plants from both populations right here at Venice beach. No ice cubes or chilled water are needed. I top water them daily, twice durning hot days. Over sized clay pots and an airy mix of long fiber sphagnum and perlite (30/70) and shade the pots with other pots is all I do. My mature plants have flowered every year for the past three years.

There's no difference in growth that I can see between the two populations.

Los Angeles is closer to Long Beach than Long Beach is to San Diego (23 vs 93 miles).

Again the key to growing this species appears to be keeping the roots cool and nightly temperature drops as well as respecting dormancy. There are a number of ways to achieve this that don't need ice cubes or chilled water. Which method works best depends a great deal on your environment and resources.

Last edited:
Oh, I Wasn't Doubting Anyone Or Say It Couldn't Be Done
Was Just Saying That I Never Had Any Luck With Them

The 1st Time I Know Was My Bad
I Was Trying To Grow Them With My Sarrs

The 2nd & 3rd Try I Had Them In a Shadier, Cooler Spot In 9in. Pots
In About a 1 To 1 Mix Of Peat, Pumice & Perlite

The Problem I was Having Was That They Wouldn't Grow Or If They Did They Didn't Get Very Big Before They Dried Out & Died

Could Have Been The Stock I had Too
All Of Them Were Tiny To Small Plants I Bought Online

If You Have Any Advice / Tips / Tricks You Would Like To Share It Would Be Greatly Appreciated

DC

Technically these are neither varieties nor forms as there are no morphological differences between the two populations.

True enough, but Barry Rice, in his studies of Sierra Darlingtonia populations still spoke in terms of "variants," particularly in their pitcher appearance or coloration; and it was from that site that he obtained the anthocyanin-free plants, D. californica 'Othello'

Otherwise, I definitely agree that root temperature is far more an issue than that of the air; and I have grown the very same plants in Northern California and the Southland -- and have used exclusively unglazed terracotta pots . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the help.

I'm still going to say "variety" NAN, just because I don't know what else to call them. Thank you for pointing that out, however.

I think that these plants would grow where I want to put them.

We had this pond for a turtle. The turtle and all the fish were eaten by raccoons. Now, the pond is empty. The good thing is that it only receives morning sun, the earth is cold there, and that the water in the bottom of the pond stays cold even in the middle of summer (now).

This morning I put my hand in the 5 inches or so of water in there. It was probably in low 60s or high 50s. At 2 PM I put my hand in there again. I could not detect much of a difference. It was still very cold.

My thoughts are that we can have a reservoir of water at the bottom, and elevate the media, because the cobra lillies don't need much soil anyway. The water would be cooled by the earth, because it is cold and pretty shady in that corner--I take that back. The pond gets a full half-day of sun in the summer. The water should be wicked up some how...If anybody has ideas of how I should go about making a habitat please let me know. I could go and get a picture of the pond body tomorrow if there is a need.

I almost forgot :-)) Here is a picture of the whole setup!

new+and+old+turtle+pond+pictures+003.jpg

As regarding the "Varieties" of the plants, I have a feeling that the costal form would do better since the place is not full sun (I read that the mountain likes more sun) and we don't have as severe weather as the mountain populations, (or the coastal for that matter) experience. Anyway, I think the coastal would do better. Anyone disagree? I really don't know. I'm just regurgitating what I read!

Here is where I got some Ideas regarding D. Californica.

Your pond setup looks very nice, SDCPs.

My plants only receive morning sun, buy I only water once, or at most twice a day. I may put a plant in a sunnier spot this summer, i hopes of producing better colored pitchers. As mentioned by Big Bella, very large clay pots give good results.

8b8ef4bc.jpg

Good growing,
kpg

Not as nice as your Darlingtonia ;)

Do you know if those plants are from the coast or from the mountains?

I'm still unsure of which one will work best, but am leaning toward the coastal "variety".

Last edited by a moderator:
My dream is being realized! The pond has moved closer to the rock wall and therefore the light. A reservior has been built in the bottom of the pond to hold the chilled water, water chilled by the earth.

Now the final steps are to add media (I'm not sure what to make it out of) and consider an aquatic pump to make the environment more realistic!

YAY!

I'm doing media research right now.

The best thing that works for me is one parts peat moss, one parts perlite, and one parts orchid bark it works for me and it leaves good areaition for the roots for when you water them like you know the water constantly flowing threw them in the wild. That is what this soil mix does keeps a good nice airy soil mix just sutible for Darlington. Hope this helps!

The best thing that works for me is one parts peat moss, one parts perlite, and one parts orchid bark it works for me and it leaves good areaition for the roots for when you water them like you know the water constantly flowing threw them in the wild. That is what this soil mix does keeps a good nice airy soil mix just sutible for Darlington. Hope this helps!

Yes it does! Thank you very much.

I'm going to use 1.3 parts peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part sand...it's what I have.

Thanks!

Try to add scoria or some other chunky aggregate in there, especially if the media is going to be consistently submerged. Perlite is good but will separate on the top layer in heavy rain; lava rock on top of live Sphagnum strands will help prevent heat stress and get the Sphagnum growing, and it'll keep the surface of your mix looking pretty as a bonus. Do what you need to do, but I strongly suggest a cover crop of Sphagnum especially with your warm weather. What's your area like - predominantly dry or wet? I know there are some pretty distinct microclimates in the SD area. A pond pump is an excellent idea - I'm adding a pump to my outdoor setup this spring as well.
~Joe

ive had the best luck with my Darlingtonia in just good ol' sphagnum and large chunks of perlite....
but then again im also spoiled with my location, live sphagnum seems to work miracles with these plants, and if its a day above 90 or so degrees (with the coastal origin plants) you might want to consider adding a few chunks of ice to the top of the media or in the water tray itself, im not 100% sure on how you are growing yours...
If your water is staying chilled enough, dont worry about the ice.
FWI i grow the mountain location clones, and have grown coastal as well, and not noticed much of a difference between the two other than the mountain being a bit slower as far as growth and coming out of dormancy...

Well, It's done! This is the best place in my yard to grow cobras due to the low temperatures it experiences relative to everywhere else (poor Dewy Pines. Pobrecitos.)

I have planted my first lily, acutally three of the same plant, in the bog. Some generous members are sending me some more, so I'll have a really nice bog, and I'll post pics when I do. Thank you so much for the suggestions everybody!

San Diego doesn't ever get much rain, but this place in my yard is one of the wetter ones.

Anyway, I am almost confident that the cobras will be fine without much care here, but time will tell.

Afternoon all
Just as a little aside to the thread, I think that some people worry about the root temperature a little too much and go overboard with the ice cube watering methods,
This plant is grown in a greenhouse (in the UK ) all year round with no special watering techniques, and the temperature in a greenhouse must be high for a large proportion of the summer.
Link
http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=darlingtonia&action=display&thread=2894

Back