What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my ceph leaf propagation " Results"

uphwiz

jimmy
This has been my first attempt at this , but one out of nine, is OK with me.
I'm still learning , I had asked a few questions here, and started before I had gotten more than a few answer's, I know I should have been a little more patient:-(, once I had had them settled in for a week or two, I checked back and saw the better way would have probably been to have wrapped each leaf in a little live sphag, then into the media I was going to use, but I just let them go, and lost all , very slowly, weeks and weeks went by and one by one they all dried up, ultra slowly, all but this one,
and today when I had given up , and was about to pull out the leaf and let the cappensis have the pot, I saw this, its a shallow victory , but its MINE.:rookwoot:
the first pic is of the leaves soaking in a little water and superthrive Dec,29th,did this for 24 hours, before sticking them in my regular ceph mix, i was just buying mine ready made then.
the other two pics are of the only one left today July 14th
click on pictures to see up close and again for real close ups.

Congrats! Hey, that's 30 bucks-worth right there.

Way to go Jimmy!!

It's aggravating to watch cuttings slowly croak. Live LFS helps, but they still sometimes just waste away.

I had stratified seeds last fall from a regular ceph and a hummer's giant that had flowered last summer. None of the ceph seeds ever sprouted, but I had about 7 of the seeds from the hummer sprout. Now I'm down to 2 seedlings and they are very tiny. It will be interesting to see what they eventually do in years to come if I can keep them alive!

WildBill

Congrats! I'm looking forward to trying the same thing with my Ceph.

I think that live LFS works fairly well, but no matter what I do there are some leaves that do end up rotting.

Congratulations on the strike! I would suggest a different method the next time you attempt Ceph pullings, as I have had a much better strike rate than 1/9.

First, make sure you are pulling the leaf off at the rhizome. It looks like you are doing a decent job of this, as the tips of the pullings are white due to getting close to zero light. As with Dionea, the more of the base that you can take with the pulling, the better your strike rate will be.

Second, I personally have never had any success with pullings (from any species) in water. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have had great success with LFSM - living or dried. Stick the end of the leaf/pitcher in and leave it. If it doesn't dry up completely (all the way down to the base), leave it. As long as there is living tissue there, it will strike. Some of my Ceph pulllings have taken close to 2 months to strike, so you must be patient.

its growing , so far so good think I'm keeping it too wet the first pitcher is going yellow and browning some , anyone know how long till the young pitchers open ?
they don't open at all on the very small ones , do they????

If it is still alive, you are doing something right.
The small pitchers don't open much really, however it is sometimes related to humidity.
When I do this, I don't even worry about getting pitchers and how they look.
So long as it is alive and growing, that is what is important.
When it gets older, that is when the pitchers really develop properly.

As far as success, I happen to have better success in the spring,
although I can not say for certain as to why (artificial lights/conditions).

You have success so far,
be patient and don't try to rush the process.
Growth will come.

Good luck.

Congrats on the sprouts!

Here's my method that gets at least a 50% success rate:
put each leaf pull in its own small pot with a peat/sand/lfs mix media. That way you don't have to re-pot the cuttings & if one fails you can just replace it with a fresh one. Keep them covered & under low light and moist but not sopping. keep them at a good mid-range temp (high 60's -low 70's). mist occasionally. wait.
for me, most of the leaf pulls that fail didn't have enough of the white rhizome on them. sometimes, even if the leaf fails, it has had enough time to strike roots and a tiny plant still grows.
good luck.

Back