What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble for Sarrs??

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
I've got a bunch of sarrs coming in tomorrow, and I have these beetles just feet away from my grow table eating the hell out of my brambles. I was wondering if these are going to be a problem for my sarrs?

100_4909.jpg

100_4910.jpg

100_4912.jpg

I've had similar, and they will eat your sarrs! I would go ahead and spray them with something, idk what, but something that will kill them.

Those are japanese beetles. I've had them before, they left a few holes in my sarr pitchers, but nothing severe.

I've had similar, and they will eat your sarrs! I would go ahead and spray them with something, idk what, but something that will kill them.

Spray the sarrs, or the beetles? I hope you don't mean the beetles.. there's 1000's of them. And my property has brambles on every side, so we're surrounded by beetles right now. They do make trap bags especially for these things though. So maybe I can score some of those.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Those are japanese beetles. I've had them before, they left a few holes in my sarr pitchers, but nothing severe.

That's what my father called them. I wasn't sure if that was the "Technical Term". lol So instead of sounding stupid I just left that part out.

I would spray the Beetles, and wipe the ones out in the area your sarrs will be near. If you don't, they will eat your sarrs up most likely. I had that happen to me once, they ate holes in the pitches and made the plants look terrible. Took care of that problem.

I'll probably do that and get a Pheromone Trap Bag for them tomorrow. We get these things every year.. it sucks.

Pheromone bags work wonders but it only by attracting them. You'll end up killing tons of them AND attracting more. Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place : /

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend the pheromone traps, they end up attracting more beetles than they kill

Pheromone bags work wonders but it only by attracting them. You'll end up killing tons of them AND attracting more. Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place : /

wow.. It makes me feel good to see you chimed in here. I kind of look up to you (it WAS in secret), but I know you don't care for me. Any recommendations from Mr.Sarracenia? I really don't want my first big shipment of sarrs to get chomped.

but I know you don't care for me.

I don't recall ever saying such a thing. I didn't care for choices you were making at the time, never said anything about you as a person. Don't confuse the two ;) And holding grudges only gets people no where...bygones be bygones.

Any recommendations ?

Only thing I can recommend is if you have a lot of land put your bog on one side of the yard and put the pheromone bag as far away as you can.

If you don't have a lot of land...I've had limited success using Sevin insecticide to keep them at bay spraying foliage and the beetles. Unfortunately there's always cannon fodder because other insects will be taken out to. If you're willing to go to the extreme you could wrap a screen (like on your windows) around your bog. Rather unsightly but effective until the adults die off...Could be a while though : / I would just do some mad research on google and see if you can find any techniques people have used before. Surely you're not the first to want to protect your ''garden'', these guys have been invasive for quite some time now.

Edit: I should have clarified: Don't go spraying Sevin on your Sarrs without testing first. When I said I sprayed foliage with it, I was referring to trees they were eating up.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works, I'm sure this thread will get resurrected a few times in the next couple summers...

Last edited:
How about just keeping the sarrs indoors for the time being, or covering them with a thin netting if you don't have very many.

I think the best course of action would be to not expose the plants to the beetles. If there are 1000's than spraying and traps won't help your plants very much.

Hey Mass - I used to live in White Lake, MI and every year had thousands of those Japanese beetles in my yard and my neighbor’s yard. My neighbor actually put two of those pheromone bags in their yard to keep them away from their hobs and it only attracted more. They ate all of their hobs but left all of my Sarrs alone. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Hey Mass - I used to live in White Lake, MI and every year had thousands of those Japanese beetles in my yard and my neighbor’s yard. My neighbor actually put two of those pheromone bags in their yard to keep them away from their hobs and it only attracted more. They ate all of their hobs but left all of my Sarrs alone. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

They do seem to pick and choose what they destroy. So far it's really only the brambles, i.e. raspberries and blackberries. I'll be sure to keep a real close eye on everything.

In my experience, Japanese beetles totally ignore sarrs! :)
I have never, ever, seen a Japanese Beetle on my CP's..
and there are billions of them in my yard..

4 summers now my CP's have been in their current location..
4 summers of billions of japenese beetles very close nearby. (nearest infected tree is probably 20 feet away from the sarrs) still havent seen a beetle on the sarrs..

so it looks like we are lucky, in this case..
we found one thing they *dont* eat!

Scot

REALLY! Well that makes me feel better. We actually moved the grow table away from the brambles and closer into the middle of the property. In a few weeks we're having a new house built, so I have to keep it out of harms way for awhile.

Maybe you should put them in a greenhouse, if you dont have one, you might aswell go out and buy one now as im sure you will some other day!

Hmm thats interesting guys, they have attacked my Sarrs before, and we rarely have them. I wonder why they would eat some people's Sarrs and not bother others? Maybe it has to do with how hungry they are or something?

We have a different kind of beetle, not sure what kind, but they are everywhere in our gardens, and do munch on a lot of stuff, but I have never seen one on the Sarracenia. Obviously, that doesn't help your situation. If it were me, I would probably just wait and see what happens. Perhaps they will leave your alone. If not, you'll have to go to a plan B. I don't think they'll kill your plants, unless you let them get out of control. Here's a pic of the beetle I have, if anyone happens to know what kind they are, it'd be much appreciated!

4688131395_36ceb8ce90_b.jpg

Back