What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

floppy sar pitchers, phyllodia, what's going on with my plants this summer?

this is the sort of thing I was seeing:
DSC_00130009.jpg

That's just older pitchers flopping over. The new ones look just fine.

My pitchers look a lot like kulamauiman. It's not older pitchers flopping over they grow like that. With wavey growth and deforemed pitchers. If people still don't think the weather is playing a part. I've had two purps flower in the last week. You can't tell me that's not odd. They are all outside so it is weather related somewhat. We've had overcast days with cold nights.

Flowers are also odd for me. Petals are split at the ends. Quick and dirty pics taken this morning.

DSC_00260001_2.jpg

DSC_00280002.jpg

the pitchers produced this year have been a corkscrewy mess. See the same with flava and one minor. Current pitchers seem to be developing almost normally.

Last edited:
some of mine are doing that too. I have some flowers as well, and this is very strange. Since we are all seeing some of the same odd things, it has to be weather! Mine look better now that I got them out of the pools, but they are still not anything like they should be.

I have two things to say:

In SD, we are having a mild summer. However, my plants aren't "sitting in water". I water them from the tray but the water usually evaporates before the next watering. My plants seem fine. I always thought I under watered, but apparently they like it.

However, they do seem a little slow.

The second thing is...I thought we were in the midst of global warming! Seems to me that the earth is actually experiencing a cooling to some degree.

Less water seems to be key right now.

Oh nooo,
Don't get me started on global warming!

But from what I have heard, Global Warming is not just about the earth steadily getting a few degrees warmer, as there are other related environmental connections that may actually cause more snow, colder temps in areas, etc. in the meantime.

In the past, there were wetlands and lakes and oceans where there are now deserts, and lush growth in areas that were once arid and desolate. The connections and sub-systems involved in the balance of the earth are very complex and diverse, and no one really knows all there is to know about it, nor what all the effects may be when one thing changes. When we mess with and change our environment, some effects may not show up nor appear to even be remotely related, until it is too late to change things back of fix things. ???
Kind of like altering the water table on a bog! Who knew some construction a few miles away would alter the balance of it and destroy it! Oops, too late now! By the time you notice the effects, there is often no way to fix the problem nor get the place to be what it once was. :-(

But then if we are smart, we could also create new areas for CP's to grow "naturally". :banana2:

They just look generally unhappy and it seems like aphids have had a go at a few of those pitchers.

I'd rip em up, divide them and repot in fresh peat. Make it AIRY - plenty of perlite and sand.

Now that I saw this thread again, my Alabamensis I just got, ALL the pitchers are flopped over. My Daina's Delight is so-so. My one Minor has 2 flopped pitchers, and a lot of my flavas starting "killing" their old pitchers and sending up their knew ones when I planted them in my own media.

Oh nooo,
Don't get me started on global warming!

But from what I have heard, Global Warming is not just about the earth steadily getting a few degrees warmer, as there are other related environmental connections that may actually cause more snow, colder temps in areas, etc. in the meantime.

You heard that because the followers of the global warming religion had to change their story once it became clear global WARMING might not be actually happening..
so to keep the religion going, they had to say "oh wait..what we meant was, its not necessarily *warming*..we meant to say "climate change"..which could mean some cooling too..but its still bad! no matter what happens, warming, cooling, things staying the same, humans are still evil and are still destyoring the earth, yeah, thats it, thats the ticket."

you will notice you hear "global warming" a lot less lately, the pet phrase is being changed to "climate change"..that way, no matter what actually happens, they can still be right, and they can still divert billions of dollars to their religious projects.

Scot

You heard that because the followers of the global warming religion had to change their story once it became clear global WARMING might not be actually happening..
so to keep the religion going, they had to say "oh wait..what we meant was, its not necessarily *warming*..we meant to say "climate change"..which could mean some cooling too..but its still bad! no matter what happens, warming, cooling, things staying the same, humans are still evil and are still destyoring the earth, yeah, thats it, thats the ticket."

you will notice you hear "global warming" a lot less lately, the pet phrase is being changed to "climate change"..that way, no matter what actually happens, they can still be right, and they can still divert billions of dollars to their religious projects.

Scot
:clap:

Back