What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had to do some emergency replanting on some of my VFTs because we had a freak rain storm last night that dumped maybe 3 inches in one hour. I didn't help that my gutter overflow looks like it landed in my VFT pots. The bulbs on many of my VFT were exposed.

While I was replanting, I thought the plants looked rather fetching so I decided to take a few pics.

VFT Bog with sarrs in the background.
vftc.jpg

B52
b52o.jpg

Some type of drosera.
drosera.jpg

And now the sarracenia.

'White Knight' - turning into my favorite sarracenia.
whiteknighty.jpg

'Schnell's Ghost'
schnell.jpg

purpurea ssp. venosa
purpr.jpg

psittacina looking poorly right now. I need to find some better real estate for it.
psit.jpg

Minor hybrid...
I think it is: minor var Okefenokeensis x (alata x leucophylla)
I'm not sure about the alata part or the order since I lost the tag.
minorhybrid.jpg

mhybrid3.jpg

'John Smith' - I love the reverse veining!
johnsmith.jpg

flava var. atropurpurea.
flava.jpg

flava2.jpg

Your drosera looks similar to Intermedia, imho.

Otherwise you have an incredible collection!!! Very nice plants and pics!

love the john smith, looking at getting this one locally here in va.

Wow. That "john smith" is amazing!

Need... it ..... in Canada....

Thanks guys and gal.

I think you are right about the drosera i<3. I have a ton of them in my sarr pots. They were hitchhikers in a few sarracenia I bought and they have spread everywhere now. Funny thing is that I don't even think I acknowledge thier presence in my growlist. I'm in denial I guess. :)

Last edited:
D. intermedia is what came to mind as well. Great looking collection!

Wow, John Smith is AMAZING! They better still have it next year!

Thanks guys and gal.

I think you are right about the drosera i<3. I have a ton of them in my sarr pots. They were hitchhikers in a few sarracenia I bought and they have spread everywhere now. Funny thing is that I don't even think I acknowledge thier presence in my growlist. I'm in denial I guess. :)

that's funny! i too have never bought a sundew in my life, but now they're everywhere. mainly filiformis, rotundifolia, intermedia, and capensis.

Whats the utric in pic 3? Subulata?

I have bought a few. I think only filiformis and falconeri though. filiformis was one of my first carnivorous plants. It looked like a carnivorous bush in the picture and I had to have it.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Whats the utric in pic 3? Subulata?

There are no utrics in any of the pics. I don't grow any. At least not to my knowledge.

there most certainly is a utric in pic 3 from the looks of it...tiny thin green leaves, and even what appears to be a small flower stalk... :p

the psittacina looks fine...its a bit of a slow grower, and it might be a bit stressed from being uprooted and shipped during the growing season, but i doubt it...it should start to shove out a ton of growth for you soon.

You do grow a utric! In the moss under the sundew, it even has a seed pod!

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

It looks like U.subulata did back when I grew it like 10 years ago.

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

It was probably a hitchhiker with another plant.

Ah, I see them now. Those tiny green scaly looking leaves. I never noticed them before. They just sort of blended in with the moss. And the flower stalk I thought was a moss spore stalk. But looking at it more closely I think you are right! This is one of the plants that intermedia arrived in, I guess it had another hitchhiker!

Cool, I have never grown a utric before. Guess I am doing a decent job of it so far.

Good eyes!

EDIT: I take back that comment about doing a decent job of it. I believe it formed cleistogamous flowers (no petals) which, according to Barry Rice, means conditions are not ideal. Maybe I will take the seed and setup something for them.

Last edited:
Your CPs look GREAT!

Dashman I think that's U.subulata, a species characterized by producing cleistogamous flowers, I bet your conditions are just fine for the "weed"

the psittacina looks fine...its a bit of a slow grower, and it might be a bit stressed from being uprooted and shipped during the growing season, but i doubt it...it should start to shove out a ton of growth for you soon.

Yes, its doing good. Just needs more light IMO. It is getting over shadowed by all of the flavas surrounding it. Thanks for donating it in the NASC Auction!

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Dashman I think that's U.subulata, a species characterized by producing cleistogamous flowers, I bet your conditions are just fine for the "weed"

Thanks for finding them. I REALLY want to dig one up to examine the traps now. Never seen a utric in person until now. I choose not to grow them mainly since I am cramped for space as it is.

Dash,
Some great Sarrs - you've got a wonderful atro coming along - beautiful deep red!

On the subulata, they are not welcome in many collections (like mine). They send their tiny seeds everywhere & by the time you are sick of them, they are invading every pot & it's almost impossible to get rid of them. There are many others that are less weed-like & great to have around.

Personally, I'd consider segregating the pot and repotting it in the spring - cleaning every bit of media from the Sarr(s) - just a thought .... :spidersmile:

Thank you for the compliments!

Being my first utric. I rather fancy them at the moment though. I don't mind them invading my temperate pots as long as they don't hinder the growth of my other plants. Perhaps they will kill those nasty little white specs that are in every square millimeter of my soil. Jumpy little buggers.

Back