What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it too late to plant

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. It's now early August. I live in USA zone 7A along the Mid-Atlantic Coast. Is it too late for me to put in any new sarrs this year? If not would larger plants be better? I normally layer mulch over the bogs (one barrel bog and a couple of 14" pots) and cover with netting against squirrels in early November.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

No way! You can plant any time of the year! Any size plants are fine!

Even if i have to dig a foot of snow off the barrel before even getting to the mulch covering the top of the peat?:0o:

I just planted a couple new arrivals. You're in a good geographical location to just leave them as they are, outside, but being new plants, I would certainly argue mulching them with pine needles, and/or peat. Snow is a good insulator, on top of mulch.

Even if i have to dig a foot of snow off the barrel before even getting to the mulch covering the top of the peat?:0o:

Well, you can still plant, I'm just not sure if you'd want to. :-))

If the plants have been grown outdoors or in a greenhouse (i.e. natural lighting) then it should not be a problem. You still have 2-3 months for them to adapt to your conditions before the beginning of dormancy period.

Yes, mulch them or bring them indoors in an unheated area when the temps dip into the mid 30s.

Yes, mulch them or bring them indoors in an unheated area when the temps dip into the mid 30s.
For some reason, all but maybe 5 of my plants I brought indoors died. All the plants I mulched survived. I will not take them inside any more in the winter.

For some reason, all but maybe 5 of my plants I brought indoors died. All the plants I mulched survived. I will not take them inside any more in the winter.

Thats because you're not supposed to bring a sar inside, it's got to go dormant!

my sarrs have always been allowed to go dormant outside, mulched, netted and no issues. Okay, then what would be the latest for me to get them then..2 months before they start dormancy..that would give me a two week window to buy and plant them

You can pretty much plant them any time like everyone says. The only time you might not want to replant sarrs is a less than a month before dormancy because repotting can sometimes cause new growth in non dormant plants which probably isn't a good idea for a plant that is starting to shut down growth for the winter. Even then I think with proper care the plants would be fine just maybe not as robust the next spring since it would have used energy from the rhizome to put out pitchers in the fall that it didn't get much use of.

Thats because you're not supposed to bring a sar inside, it's got to go dormant!

I know! I brought them into the unheated garage, (they went through 2 frosts first) they were fine, then they woke up and were doing great, then as soon as they opened their first pitcher, a lot of them simply died.

not really no..at least, not for everyone.

for the original poster, being in zone 7 on the mid Atlantic coast, then this time of year is probably perfectly fine..however if you live further north, there are in fact certain times of year you wouldnt want to introduce new plants to an outdoor bog, if they are meant to stay outdoors all year..August is still probably ok for just about anyone, because there is still enough time for the plant to prepare for dormancy..but you certainty wouldn't want to plant new plants October - March..and I believe no one should order new Sarrs or VFTs in the middle of winter..

Spring is best.
Summer is ok.
Autumn is iffy.
Winter is not very good.

so no, its not really accurate to say "You can plant any time of the year! Any size plants are fine!"
thats simply not true..
it depends how and where the plants were growing before you bought them, and where you live..plants should ideally have as many months as possible to prepare for dormancy..which is why getting new plants in the Spring is best.

Scot

not really no..at least, not for everyone.

for the original poster, being in zone 7 on the mid Atlantic coast, then this time of year is probably perfectly fine..however if you live further north, there are in fact certain times of year you wouldnt want to introduce new plants to an outdoor bog, if they are meant to stay outdoors all year..August is still probably ok for just about anyone, because there is still enough time for the plant to prepare for dormancy..but you certainty wouldn't want to plant new plants October - March..and I believe no one should order new Sarrs or VFTs in the middle of winter..

Spring is best.
Summer is ok.
Autumn is iffy.
Winter is not very good.

so no, its not really accurate to say "You can plant any time of the year! Any size plants are fine!"
thats simply not true..
it depends how and where the plants were growing before you bought them, and where you live..plants should ideally have as many months as possible to prepare for dormancy..which is why getting new plants in the Spring is best.

Scot

Yeah... if it was a true emergency though, and you needed to plant, you probably could.
You should've seen me over winter at my bog! Hitting the ice with a pole so the plants didnt suffocate.

Back