What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Purpurea for south floridian?

Is this an easy task to handle. ive been wanting a sarr for a while but ive been put off by the size seeing as we get really bad wind gusts when it rains in the summer and purpurea seems to be the one that would be most forgiven in THAT aspect but the other concern i have is that i live about 30 minutes away from miami, meaning my winter is low 60s high 50's which is VERY mild. im not sure if that will trigger dormancy. ive read that i can have it dormant in the refigerator but that it must first be triggered into dormancy naturally before i can store it in there. is this true? and what is the minimum for triggering dormancy?

-Javier

Make sure you get a purpurea burkii (or rosea as some call it) and just give it a go. Maybe even buy two and see which ones does best with each dormancy plan.

Dormancy is triggered by reducing hours of daylight and reduced temperatures. You may be best putting it in the fridge every night for 3 weeks in November and then outdoors during the day. Increase the amount of time it's in the dark each night and then finally just leave it in there for 3 months.

well the one i would be getting is listed only as purprea so not really sure if its the burkeii that you speak of. that sounds a bit cumbersome but defenetely managable. this past year we had temps of around mid to low 50s but thats only for about a month. does the length of the dormancy period matter? better phrased as whats the shortest amount of time it can be dormant for and still reap the benefits of the dormancy phase?

3 months I'd say.

Show us your plant when it arrives :)

I live in Central Florida and grow a reg purp purp although I only have 1 and most of mine are purp venosa or purp burkeii. I also have a purp purp het that does quite well and our winters aren't that cold either. The funny thing is, both grow pitchers that are short like a purp venosa instead of being long like a normal purp purp.

I live in miami and grow venosa NC, rosea, purpurea purpurea, and even a thriving purp purp heterophylla.

Give it a go!

Awesome! manny and cpman, do you guys grow outdoors year round or do you do what alexis had suggested with the refrigerator method?

I grow outdoors all year round. I've found that the requirement for cold is not as necessary as most think. I've had warm winters, cool winters and last winter was downright freezing. The plants do well no matter what. The only thing I do in winter is slow down on the water in the trays, letting the plants suck up the water until gone, then go a day or two before I rewater. In summer, I constantly keep water in the trays. That I think mimics the natural cycle. At least when I lived up in the sandhills of NC, thats how the plants there lived in the wild. A further note as well. I grow all my plants in pure dried LFS. It's airier, allows for better drainage and I find the plants do better overall in it.

I also grow outdoors year round. I don't use the tray method and nor do I refrigerate. I find that S. purpurea is one of the most tolerant and easy Sarrs to grow.

Back