What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea venosa or S. rosea or inbetween

DSC_00100001_1.jpg

DSC_00120001_3.jpg

sorry for just getting around to post these. i needed some stress relief . Seems to be paler than I would expect from S. purpurea venosa but not as pale as i would expect as S. rosea (or S. purpurea vensoa burkii).

S. purpurea venosa
DSC_00080001_3.jpg

Last edited:
Not sue... The pitchers remind me of my Rosea though...
Either way, those flowers are BEAUTIFUL!

It's a burkii (or rosea as some call it).

The white style gives it away. The petals can range from reddy magenta, to pink to almost white.

Kula, I have a plant almost exactly like that. I think I've decided the cream-ish flower and fat lip on it make it a rosea but I can't be sure exactly it's parentage so I just leave it be.

It's a Burkeii( rosea like chipola is no longer used except by us crazies ). According to Dr. Schnell, there is purpurea purpurea, purpurea het, purpurea venosa, purpurea venosa montana, purpurea venosa burkeii and purpurea venosa burkeii luteola. Purpurea venosa burkeii has the pale flower which is what you have.

It's a Burkeii( rosea like chipola is no longer used except by us crazies ). According to Dr. Schnell, there is purpurea purpurea, purpurea het, purpurea venosa, purpurea venosa montana, purpurea venosa burkeii and purpurea venosa burkeii luteola. Purpurea venosa burkeii has the pale flower which is what you have.

Where did you get that? Every where published including Schnell it is spelled "burkii" (latinized from Louis Burk). Naczi proposed elevation to species status as Sarracenia rosea*. Many feel it should have been S. burkii, but the first published name takes precedence.

See "Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada" by Donald E. Schnell, page 137, second edition 2002 Timber Press:

...in 1932 Wherry randomly collected plants that flowered the following year in the Philadelphia greenhouse of a horticulturist name Louis Burk. These all had the characteristics that Jones had described, and Wherry unofficially dubbed them "horticultural variety Louis Burk."

--------------

*Naczi, R. F. C., E. M. Soper, F. W. Case, and R. B. Case. 1999. Sarracenia rosea (Sarraceniaceae), a new species of pitcher plant from the southeastern United States. Sida 18: 1183–1206

Well excuse the hell out of me. I didn't know you were the spelling police. What happened? Did I wake you up down in your mothers basement when I placed that extra e between the K and the double I's. I'am glad I was able to allow you to showcase your notable literary and semantic skills. Contact me anytime and I'll do my best to help you out, idiot.

Back