What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea v. ? ? ?

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Okay folks, I've about given up trying to ID these guys to an extent where I feel confident. I bought them from many years ago as S. Purpurea Purpurea and they have grown and spread and thrived. They are grown in full sun.
They all start out with deep purple veining just on the insdie of the pitcher tops which fade as the pitchers mature. Occasionally there is a faint blush along the leaf as it grows out. There are hairs on the inside of the pitchers but none on the outside. I've included three images to show how they look from the sides, the tops and the flowers.
Thank you for any insights.

expman.pl

expman.pl

expman.pl

Looks like Purp Purp. Nice thick patch of it too with many flowers.

Deifinitely S. purpurea. Nice mantis, too!

Nice mantis pic! Yep it's a purp, the waxy surface gives it away

...........are those cranberries growing next to it?

Thanks all, i have matched them to coastal, to veinless and to intergrades and was still confused. Now I can grow with confidence. They have a total of seven flowers devolping seed pods right now.
And yes, those are cranberries growing over the front of the barrel

Whatever form it is, it looks ver well taken care of. Nice conditions.

edible cranberries? close up please if you can , dont think ive ever seen cranberries on the plant:0o:

edible cranberries? close up please if you can , dont think ive ever seen cranberries on the plant:0o:

I'll try to do a better image for you later, my lens fogged and before it had a chance to clear, it started to rain on me.
Yes they are edible, although I don't get a very big crop from just what's in the barrel, Vaccinium macrocarpon.
I started them as a way to have decorative bog plants growing over the front of the barrel.
Most folk don't realize that the cranberries in the big "bogs" are flooded to make the harvesting easier, they don't grow as aqautic plants year round. People usually just see the commercials on TV or some show where they are being harvested.

expman.pl

Very nice looking S. purpurea indeed

Better bog pics showing the cranberries.

expman.pl

expman.pl

expman.pl

Back