What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollinized vs. unpollinized

Pollinated vs. not

I believe there's a number of people who'll look inside a seed pod of a sarracenia flower, see tiny brown bodies and think that these are seeds. In a flower which has not been pollinated though, these brown bodies will be tiny compared to normal seeds. Here I offer a side-by-side comparison of what a pollinated vs an un-pollinated seed capsule looks like:

cp-aug2010-sarraseeds001.jpg

Notice how in the pollinated pod, the seeds occupy all of the space inside the pod vs the one which was not pollinated?
So remember kiddies: Just because you see brown stuff inside the seed pod doesn't mean that you got viable seeds.

Last edited:
Nice!

Nice comparison picture Broken. :bigthumpup:
Hopefully it will help some new growers to save the time of trying to plant unfertilized seed!

As a kid, I used to try to grow anything looking remotely like a seed. (CP's and non-CP plants alike)
Took some experience to learn what was viable and what was not.

Sometimes a seed pod will contain both, or with even just one fertilized (polinated) seed and all the rest undeveloped. Interesting to see, and unusual!

Again, nice pic!

Nice comparison picture Broken. :bigthumpup:
Hopefully it will help some new growers to save the time of trying to plant unfertilized seed!

Or try and trade/sale it which I've seen.

Nice! Looks like a full harvest. Sometimes I've also found 3 or 4 fertile seeds in an unfertilized seed pod, most likely due to self fertilization...

That reminds me of a time someone sent me some Sarracenia "seeds", only to get the unpollinated type. It was a gift so I laughed it off.

Back