What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cultivar or just variation

Hello!

I just rescued a Sarracenia flava that struck me as a bit different. It jumped right out to me as something like the 'Copper Top' cultivar. After checking with the CP photofinder, i found out its actually S. flava 'Copper Lid,' but then again, it could also be S. flava var. cuprea... So, which could it be? Is there a definate difference between the two or is it more a matter of opinion and fancy?

Thank you!
CJ

var. cuprea is copper top or copper lid, they are just different names for the same thing AFIK...

Schnell called Sarracenia flava var. cuprea the "Copper Lid Form" in his description in "Insectivorous Plants and How to Grow Them". Slack registered them as 'Copper Lid'. People commonly call this form "Copper Top" but the official registered cultivar name is 'Copper Lid'. Single quote marks are only used on registered cultivar names.

It's now usual to just label them as flava var. cuprea

Thats a bit on the annoying side, but, I will go with Alexis and add it as S. flava var. cuprea to my records. Thank you for everyone's two cents!

Back