What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cold hardiness

I recentally got a sarracenia X dana's delight and its supposed to be cold hardy to zone five.
Is hardy enough to survive a zone 7A Washinton DC winter in a 4 inch pot?

probably, but id move up to a 5 or 6" just to give the root zone a little more protection, i live in the roanoke area of va, and keep my sarr.s out all winter with a little mulch , and a fabric covered chicken wire dome over each pot. The smaller pots i just simply bury in the bog pots before putting on the covers.
i make the fabric covers my self at my upholstery shop, from out door grade fabric.:-D
IMG_0695.jpg

I don't understand what the fabric cover is for...it'll freeze all the same, just not have snow directly on top of the pitchers weighing them down, right?

yup and we get pretty harsh winds where i live, so it just adds a small amount of protection against some of the sub zero chill factors, and yes keeps the snow from direct contact with the plants, though the snow does completely cover the pots domes and all , so then their extremely protected.

What you will want to watch out for is the soil freezing solid for extended periods. These plants can withstand freezing temps in the wild, but keep in mind in the wild the soil rarely freezes solid at any significant depth. When the soil in the pot freezes solid, the plant can become freezer burnt.

Oh, forgot to mention that I realize yours is a man made hybrid but the same basic principles apply. :)

Cold, drying wind can cause damage, although snow cover helps prevent this.

What do you mulch with uphwiz? I was thinking of applying a layer of pine needles to mine before I put my plants to bed this fall. I know they would appreciate the acid, but do you think it would also help with the mold in addition to the sulfur-based fungicide?

The pitchers in the plant are dry, how long will it take for them to fill up?

Also, does being grown in hose water make the pitchers lose liquid?
Everything about the way the nursery was growing the sarracenia was fine exept for the water which was choked with algea and had toad tadpoles.

pine needles should be fine , i use pine bark mulch , it is a little easier to get it in closer to the crowns .
I just remove as much as possible in the spring, a little left doesn't seem to hurt the sarrs. the sulfur fungicide is a wettable powder i just spray every thing till slightly damp just before i put on the mulch.
raymond you can add a little rain /distilled water if you like,

should i add a little viniger in with the water, or will te residue of the previous acid be enough?
Will viniger mess up the balance of chemicals in the acid?

While vinegar (Acetic acid) is an organic acid, I don't think adding it to your water would be wise. Pine needles or pink bark would probably be fine. Peat alone is on the acidic side.

Peat or pine needles.... both are excellent insulators.

So is it nessasary to overninter my sarracenia hybrid?

• pitchers don't fill with liquid - they just secrete small amounts when insects are caught. You won't see any from above.

• wrap the pot in bubble wrap and fleece in November, add pine needles as mulch and keep it somewhere sheltered

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

• pitchers don't fill with liquid - they just secrete small amounts when insects are caught. You won't see any from above.

• wrap the pot in bubble wrap and fleece in November, add pine needles as mulch and keep it somewhere sheltered

Back