What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bees

so i have a giant bald headed wasp nest(twice the size of a basket ball) 10 yards from the outside sarr set up. they have become victum once or twice, but as of today i found over 50 honey bees, teally small and fuzzy. all around my plant. unfourtunatly the plants arent all that large and cant really eat them yet. But why are they here? the nector?

They're just there 'cause.
If your plants catch any, no matter how sad you may be, PLEASE release them. There's a honeybee population decrease.

i am well awair of this. but when one stings chemical is released and it sends them wild in a stinging frenzy. Im not about to risk some intense injury to save a bee or two./ they came, and they will go. Its natural for them to die. a handful to my sarrs wont do anything.

i have literally dozens of bees/wasps flying around my plants at any given time, yellow jackets, honey bees, shiny black wasps, and typical black/yellow striped wasps. they love the nectar! i have never been stung, and have been doing this for years. i take that back - i was painting our house last summer and found out the hard way i was standing on the yellow jacket's nest entrance. anyway, i've never been stung when i'm by the Sarracenia. i think they are too preoccupied with the nectar to care about someone watering or cutting off dead leaves or whatever. if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

there's always a few that are going to get caught, but it seems, especially with the wasps, they'll chew a hole and escape that way.

I've never been stung around the bogs either and we have several different Hymenopterans feeding in the garden.

i have literally dozens of bees/wasps flying around my plants at any given time, yellow jackets, honey bees, shiny black wasps, and typical black/yellow striped wasps. they love the nectar! i have never been stung, and have been doing this for years. i take that back - i was painting our house last summer and found out the hard way i was standing on the yellow jacket's nest entrance. anyway, i've never been stung when i'm by the Sarracenia. i think they are too preoccupied with the nectar to care about someone watering or cutting off dead leaves or whatever. if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.

there's always a few that are going to get caught, but it seems, especially with the wasps, they'll chew a hole and escape that way.

I have had honey bees visit my plants every now and then. They seemed more interested in sucking water from the soil. Either that or grabbing some peat for a nest? Not sure. They pretty much ignored the plants.

YES! thats what they are doing to my plants to, stay on the soil then buzz away and come back.

Perhaps they like clean water? Or a peaty brew?

Be careful with the honey bees, they are not as preoccupied as the wasps. I had to swat at one last summer because I didn't see it when I was watering and I ticked it off. I did bother it first though so that may not count.

I agree that Wasps on the other hand do pretty much leave you alone. I sit right next to my plants while I am outside watching my children play and they fly to and fro and don't pay any attention to me.

Last edited:
A great plant in the ways of helping bees is to grow a big stand of Sedum 'Autumn Joy' or 'Autumn Delight' (which may be the official cultivar name). This time of year, they are just COVERED in honey bees.

If the bees are tiny then they are probably native bees and not the introduced European honey bees. Some species are solitary and use mud in their nest building. Then again they could just be drinking. I often observe European honey bees sipping the moisture out of my live Sphagnum. Maybe they like the acidity.

on hot days honey bees will collect water to cool their hives. they actually use evaporative cooling. They commonly come to my water trays. I think moist peat or sphagnum makes it easier than them trying to land in the tray to get water.

they have doubled in the past few days. at least 200 hundred come a day now.

Back