What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purp tray

This summer has been the hottest one on record for NJ (following the hottest spring). Because of this, it seems I spend alot of my time making RO water & watering my plants. Each year, different plants seem to become my favorites. This year, a tray of different versions of S. purpurea keeps catching my eye & I regularly find myself lingering around it. The diversity of colors & veining coupled with the always-present shimmering dew of the companion plants - justs grabs me. Based on this, I thought I'd share some pics ...

Top view of the tray:
Purptray-090310RS.jpg

Legend:
- Bottom left - S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, Henderson County, NC (code 21)
- Top left - D. x hybrida (filiformis*intermedia), Burlington County, NJ (4 in tray) >> to the right of this hybrida is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii f. luteola
- Just to the left of middle are two S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana (code 21A)
- Just to the right of middle is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, Baldwin County, AL (code 23B)
- Above & to the right of middle is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, Cooks Bayou, Bay County, FL (code 23)
- Far right bottom is S. purpurea ssp venosa 'Brunswick Beauty' (code 22A)
- far right top is another baby luteola seedling (all of my luteola seedling are very slow growers (the opposite of Woodnative's))

Some zoom-in pics:
Purptray-montana1090310RS.jpg

- S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana (code 21A)

Purptray-montana090310RS.jpg

- S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, Henderson County, NC (code 21)
- just above the montana is D. x beleziana (intermedia*rotundifolia), Ocean County, NJ

Purptray-brunswickbeauty090310RS.jpg

- S. purpurea ssp venosa 'Brunswick Beauty' (code 22A)

Purptray-luteola090310RS.jpg

- S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii f. luteola
- on either side of the luteola are 2 - D. x hybrida with a D. x beleziana just above

Oooops - later edit - forgot this one...
Purptray-rosea090310RS.jpg

- Just to the right of middle is S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkii, Baldwin County, AL (code 23B)
(FYI - more pics in growlist)

Last edited:
holy crap.. Love those dews mixed in there too.

Great pic Ron. I have to send you one of these luteolas.........I expect genetics and not cultural reasons for the speedy growth of this group!
Nice mix of colors and forms.......variation on a theme!!
P.s.- I have had enough of this dryness.......even today's hurricane seems to be passing us by. Many days of "beautiful" (rainless) weather to follow this weekend and next week!

WOW. The contrast between the reds and greens and the dew is just stunning.

Pretty.

That is absolutely beautiful, hope to have a purp collection as nice one day

I.... need to get a planter like that.

Nice stuff Ron :D

OMG nice! Seriously...wow. Never seen a nicer purp container than that one!

beautiful purps and in a nice setup too.

I love your Brunswick Beauty!!! My local nurseries had them, but sold out!

Very impressive collection of Purp
fabulous pictures too

Gorgeous plants!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. :blush:

Even though I've had all of these plants in my collection, the differences in color and size and veining are just not as obvious until they are planted together. I'd love to say that this was planned but the reality is that these were mostly spare divisions after separating growth points a year or two ago. In hindsight, i wish I would have used a third location of montana or my purp veinless instead of the two same montana's in the middle - - - maybe next time... ???

I have to send you one of these luteolas........
:drool:

23B and 22A are my favorites, but the entire planter is stunning!! Fantastic growing and excellent shots!

outstanding as always ron
Butch

That is one lovely container! Love everything about it!

Back