What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone root fertilise their Heliamphora?

Hi,

I have seen several post with regards to foliar feeding Heliamphora. Many of these have advocated 1/4 strength orchid fertiliser as the foliar feed. Has anyone tried root feeding them with fertiliser and, if so, what was the results?

yep, every month

Trichoderma on the 1st of the month, root feeding on the 15th
1/4 strength usually.... sometimes more

Av

What Butch said.

In fact, I am doing that today . . .

Two of the people who I would ask first have already replied to the thread :)

Butch, any evidence that Trichoderma is beneficial and why not apply at same time as fertiliser?

I have used trich for years and consider it very very beneficial.... there are hundred of peer reviewed studies showing that it attacks phytopathogens and increases nutrient uptake (and not a single one that shows it as being ineffective)

If trichoderma is in a nitrogen rich enviorment, its gets "fat and lazy" so you dont want to do both at the same time

however, many people dont use it and dont see the need.... and many them grow wonderful looking plants
Its something you have to look into and decide for yourself.

I have some good peer review data in my research folder... just look for trich stuff
bluegrasscarnivores.com/research1

I have a small tub of Trichoderma but have never used it much... maybe I should give it a go on one of my Heliamphora. It is expensive in the UK so I guess this deters people from buying it to try.

I've just give one of my Heliamphora a feed with 0.5EC urea free orchid fertiliser so that will hopefully give it a boost, as it doesn't get opportunity to catch its own prey, though I have been putting L. glutamine into the pitchers.

Last edited:
there are also many strains and spore counts Mobile,

I bet what you have is strain T22

i gotz the good stuff :p

LOL

"This site is not available in your country"

pm me a shipping addy, ill send ya a little from my stash to play with

ttyl, logging off

Where do you get your trichoderma Av8tor?

crystal on these forums sells the good stuff in small batches good for hobbyists. I've been using it for a few months on my neps, helis, and cephs. Still to early to see any discernible difference.

Still to early to see any discernible difference.
While studies have shown increased vigor & root development in crop plants, imho, the largest benefit of Trichoderma is the one that isn't seen - the absence of pathogenic fungal attacks (ie: the often-discussed sudden death syndrome in Cephs & a similar malady in Heli's as well as something nasty with Sarrs...)

+1 on Ron's comments.... the photographic research images of trich coiling itself around the pathogens and attacking them are awesome

Any increase in growth and vigor is simply icing on the cake

+1 on crissy

Last edited:
Hi,
When you water in Trichoderma do you pour it from above or could you stand the plant in a saucer and fill the saucer with the treated water? I have a few big Cephs I want to treat and not keen on soaking them from above as the pitchers fill the pot.
I have had a few issues with some of my VFTs developing rotten roots which them infects the bulb of the plant. Is it likely that Trichoderma might help "cure" this issue or would I need to use a fungicide first. And them once (if) the plant recovers and once the effects of the fungicide wears off them treat with Trichoderma?
What dosage of Trichoderma do you use? 1 teaspoon to a gallon for example?
Sorry to hijack this thread!!

cheers

bill

crystal on these forums sells the good stuff in small batches good for hobbyists. I've been using it for a few months on my neps, helis, and cephs. Still to early to see any discernible difference.

Thanks Nightsky!

Hello Bill,

I recommend pouring the Trich (once mixed with water) over the plant into the to pot. You could fill a saucer with it, but I don't recommend it. Anaerobic bacteria tends to form if the mixture sits up too long. If you fill the saucer and dump any excess within a few hours, there should not be a problem.

It is possible that the Trich could help clear up what is going on with your VFTs. I know it can help prevent rot with Sarracenia rhizomes. It would be worth a try using the Trich before a fungicide in my opinion since the plants are already stressed. The fungicide could finish them off. The Trich is more gentle, and natural.

One teaspoon per gallon is exactly what I use. There is also the granular version of Trich that isn't mixed with water. It can be sprinkled in the media when you're mixing it up and directly on the plants as well.

Hope this helps :)
Crystal

Bill...when I use trich (although I did drive my dear buddy Av8tor here crazy when I told him I do this :p )..I jut mix a quarter tablespoon up into a 1.5L spray bottle that I use to water my plants. Then...I just water it as normal...over the crown, moss...whatever..just like a regular watering. You will notice that after a trich watering...the water coming out of the bottom will be a bit brown. In fact I know I might be overdosing on the trich as I am left with a white deposit all over my tank and plants by the time I finish...but never found any illeffects. I think the proper dosage is like a teaspoon per gallon or something.

think that trich would help with the spotting on my black truncata leaves the plant seems fine other wise. I have several cephs now that i would hate to loose suddenly now that they are getting to a nice size.

Last edited:
I read about how to use trichoderma... it says after your done watering discard the whole batch. So if you mix it with a gallon size jug and pour just a little on your plants the rest goes to waste, is this true? If it is I'm getting the granular kind so i dont waste any.

I've used this organic stuff called plant tone I had laying a round a couple of times on my reducta (grows in the same soil and region as heliamphora) and it seems to be responding well. It's just chicken crap, feathers, ect. ect. The capensis I potted in there with it are really taking off too, lol.

Hi,
When you water in Trichoderma do you pour it from above or could you stand the plant in a saucer and fill the saucer with the treated water? I have a few big Cephs I want to treat and not keen on soaking them from above as the pitchers fill the pot.
I have had a few issues with some of my VFTs developing rotten roots which them infects the bulb of the plant. Is it likely that Trichoderma might help "cure" this issue or would I need to use a fungicide first. And them once (if) the plant recovers and once the effects of the fungicide wears off them treat with Trichoderma?
What dosage of Trichoderma do you use? 1 teaspoon to a gallon for example?
Sorry to hijack this thread!!

cheers

bill

Bill, back when i had my large clumps of cephs I would place the ceph pot in a larger pan and fill the outer pan with the solution until the level was slightly less then the surface level of the cephs. Id let it sit like this for 10-15 mins then remove and let the excess drain. It seemed to work very well for me. I was able to get clumps of a 100 or more pitchers without issue.

think that trich would help with the spotting on my black truncata leaves the plant seems fine other wise. I have several cephs now that i would hate to loose suddenly now that they are getting to a nice size.

Jimmy, cant honestly answer that... however the peer reviewed research has shown systemic benefits

I read about how to use trichoderma... it says after your done watering discard the whole batch. So if you mix it with a gallon size jug and pour just a little on your plants the rest goes to waste, is this true? If it is I'm getting the granular kind so i dont waste any.

Why not just use 1/4tsp and a quart of water?... or the granular if you prefer. I tend to use the granular for potting and transplanting. But it works well in both applicaitons, just a little funky looking (snot like)

Av

Back