What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with my sars

So, I've lost several sars over the summer, and others that I haven't lost look pretty bad. Not all of them, but a lot of them do, and I can't figure out what is going on. I'm super busy with school and work, but I'm spending time out there every chance I get repotting them all, thinking that perhaps something in the soil was harming them. So far I haven't found any bugs or any reason for some to be dying. But I've lost a lot of them. It doesn't make sense. I'm going to go through and inventory them all and try to figure out what has died and update my grow list, maybe try to replace some of them soon. When you have several hundred it takes a while to go through them all, but when I do I'm going to post a list. Maybe I can figure out a pattern in a type that is dying or something.

Ack Kristi that's terrible :-( I'm so sorry to hear that.
It might be bad peat, is all. That's what was killing mine off earlier in the season.
Sounds like Trich might be a good idea too?

Most of mine were doing poorly too this summer and only perked up in the past 3 weeks..weird weather or something this year? It's like they're putting up new spring growth *now* because of what growth they missed in the past 4ish months.

But here are a few pics of some that are looking good.
spurpjerseygirl2.jpg

spsitacinaxrubraxlueco-1.jpg

sminorxcourtii.jpg

sareaolata.jpg

sahlessii.jpg

catesbaei
IMG_0456_1.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Yeah, mine are doing the weird spring growth thing, even blooming. Strange. I bought the same peat that I always get from Lowe's, I can't figure it out. But I'm going through and repotting everything just in case. Some are doing good and others aren't, and they are all in the same peat and all sitting in the same location. A few of my for sale plants have died, but it is mainly my personal collection that has taken the hit, and I can't figure out why. Oh well, I guess that happens sometimes, but I've got some expensive ones I don't want to lose!

OMG I love that second one!! :drool:

Hmmm. I had problems with my Sarrs for a while in pure peat and allowing them to sit in water. I'd get a sulfur-type smell out of the soil and really poor-looking Sarrs. I haven't had that happen since I cut back on watering and added perlite/sand.

didn't we recommend a proper repot? What are they in at the moment?

Yes, Alexis, I was noticing the problem when I had them in pools in sitting water. I removed them from the pools, watched them for a few weeks, saw a little improvement, but then some more started dying, so I have been going through and repotting every one of them, thinking perhaps there was something in the peat, like some kind of grub or something. I didn't find anything wrong so far. It's a mystery. They are just in plain peat, nothing mixed in with it, but that is how I've grown them for 10 years and I've never had anything like this happen before.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

by the way, what is Trich? The only one I know of is an STD, which wouldn't apply to plants...

This may not be the problem you are experiencing but it may help. A few years ago many of my Sarrs seemed to be slowly fizzling out, not growing, and just looking sickly.

When I went to repot a few I noticed a red wiggler worm in one right near the rhizome and a huge nightcrawler in another. The soil had been changed by their action and was pasty mushy. Repotting helped - and I repotted ALL my outdoor Sarrs.

I had mentioned it to Dave (bid2win) at an NECPS meeting and he suggested driving the worms out by watering with dish detergent. I now do that every few weeks in the spring. I fill a 2 gallon pump sprayer with water and a few squirts of Dawn liquid dish detergent shake it up and water. It hasn't hurt the Sarrs or flytraps at all.

wildbill,

thank you for that info! If dish detergent doesn't hurt, I will definitely try that! Right now I'm repotting and spraying everything down with Garden Safe 3-in-1 which works for bugs, fungus, mites. It does a number on the plants though. They don't like it that much, and it leaves them sort of spotty, but then new pitchers grow up and are fine. I figure with the repotting and with spraying everything down maybe it would help!

Back