What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sawdust hydroponic experiment - Cephalotus

Following on from this post, below are details of my latest experiment.

My latest experiment, and the one that I least expect to succeed, is to try to grow a Cephalotus cutting in mycorrhiza and trichoderma inoculated sawdust using passive hydroponics.

This is an overview of the setup;
pic1.JPG

The bottom chamber is the reservoir, which contains deionised water and a wick. The wick feeds into the above chamber;
pic2.JPG

The centre is the growing chamber, which is filled with mycorrhiza and trichoderma inoculated sawdust, in which is planted a Cephalotus cutting;
pic3.JPG

Here's a close-up of the cutting, it's from a 'Hummer's Giant';
pic4.JPG

The top chamber is simply a 'lid' used to provide increased humidity;
pic5.JPG

Cool! :cool:

only concern would be the sawdust breaking down.......the bacteria that do it cause the soil to become quite acidic and tend to bind up nutrients bad......heard of using sawdust quite a bit to help acidify soil for growing blueberries but the end result is you have to dump alot of extra ferts on it....

not saying it wont work but i would guess the "soil" is gonna break down and become toxic more often than most so repotting is gonna be necessary.....

Also assuming that Mycorrhiza and Trichoderma are not antagonistic to one or another.

Should be interesting. What type of containers are those, they look like they lock together?

Also assuming that Mycorrhiza and Trichoderma are not antagonistic to one or another.
Yes, I thought about this but I cannot find any research on it for un-established colonies, so it's try it and see. This is one I came across.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Should be interesting. What type of containers are those, they look like they lock together?
They are food tubs, from ready meals. The bottom one has the lid on, with a slot in it to accept the wick. The middle on has a slot in the base for the wick. The top one is the same as the bottom two but with the rim cut off and placed on upside down.

Last edited:
Nice experiment. I'll be watching this one closely.

Very nice experiment done here regarding the hydroponics system. Here it is giving perfection to the hydroponics system. It is the perfect model of the hydroponics system.

Back