What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Harm in Letting a S. Leucophylla "Tarnok" Flower in Fall?

I have two Tarnoks, and one seems to be doing a lot better than the other. The healthier one with bigger pitchers has a flower stalk. It's so tall and I've been thinking it was going to start to open for a week now. It keeps getting closer and closer. It's dipped into the upper 30s here at nights, and I'm wondering if letting it bloom this late in the year is a bad idea. It should be getting ready for dormancy, no?

At this point, it's pretty much used all of the energy it's going to, to create the flower. Might as well enjoy it, at least for a little while. I always let my fall flowers open, but I cut them off after a couple of days. Never had any problems.

I would cut it off and allow the plant to have a dormancy. In the spring, it will likely flower.

Flowers are just specialized leaves so energy consumption isn't that great. Pollen and seed production might be a different matter but since 'Tarnok' is for essentially infertile what's the worry? I don't think it even produces pollen.

I googled Tarnok flower stalks in Fall to see about this, because I saw my Tarnok putting up flower stalks now, and I see I had the same question 2 years ago! I'll be darned, I don't remember that at all! I might nip it in the bud, though, because they have to come inside soon, and the space is so limited that I may not even have room for pitchers.

Flowers are just specialized leaves so energy consumption isn't that great. Pollen and seed production might be a different matter but since 'Tarnok' is for essentially infertile what's the worry? I don't think it even produces pollen.

One of my Tarnok flowers produced a seed pod this year with about 10 seed in it. I will find out if these seed are viable in spring. I swirled a small paint brush full of pollen from S. rubra up into the mess of deformed flower several times on successive days.

hey any luck with those seeds? I was looking for threads about tarnok being fertile or not because i want to cross it with another plant this spring

I would also like to know!

Back