What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Heli.minor during a month life

09/12/2010:
Hminor_09_12_2010.jpg

10/02/2010: A new pitcher has formed
Hminor_10_02_2010.jpg

10/08/2010: The new pitcher has grown up
Hminor_10_08_2010.jpg

10/11/2010: A new pitcher appears
Hminor_10_11_2010.jpg

10/13/2010: The new pitcher becomes bigger
Hminor_10_13_2010.jpg

10/16/2010: more pitchers appear
Hminor_10_16_2010.jpg

The nectar spoon of a new pitcher
Hminor_10_16_20102.jpg

Enjoy!

I've heard people complain about Heliamphora being the slowest carnivorous plant in the world (after Nepenthes Villosa), but yours is really growing fast. I wish I had the proper conditions to grow one

Wow!! A very happy heli, indeed! Most impressive! Keep up the great growing!

Love it! Its always exciting to watch Helis grow their first mature leaves.

Thank all of you for your comments. The fast growth speed also makes me surprised. I grow it under CFL. The light density on the top of them is about 25000 lux. The light bulb turn on for 16 hours. Daytime temperature is 80F with humidity 70%; night temperature is 60F with humidity above 90%.

That's awesome. I really want to try my hand at growing helis, but I know my conditions aren't exactly ideal (my temps are more like 80-85 during the day with 55% humidity; 65-70 overnight with 85-90% humidity). But darn, those things are just so pretty!

Here's a silly question: did all that live sphagnum sprout over the three weeks that elapsed between the first and second shots, or did you add it?? I'm trying to sprout my own from dried LFS and so far... no luck.

Cuteness!

I just added the live moss after I took the first picture. But I really succeeded in sprout live moss from dried LFS. I put some dried LFS under the bottom of pots of my VFT and sundews, and the green live moss grew out from the holes of the pots! Very strange :crazy:

That's awesome. I really want to try my hand at growing helis, but I know my conditions aren't exactly ideal (my temps are more like 80-85 during the day with 55% humidity; 65-70 overnight with 85-90% humidity). But darn, those things are just so pretty!

Here's a silly question: did all that live sphagnum sprout over the three weeks that elapsed between the first and second shots, or did you add it?? I'm trying to sprout my own from dried LFS and so far... no luck.

What!!! That's great, because all of my pots have a bottom dressing of LFS to keep the media from falling out. Might get lucky :) I have some sitting sopping wet in plastic bags (but not sitting in water... just very wet) about 3" under my grow lights. I see some green patches among the strands which I can only assume is live growth because it isn't dark enough to be algae, but it hasn't really... grown... for about two weeks now. Patience, I suppose.

But man, nice heli. They're slowly growing on me (no pun intended). Very understated, yet captivating. Wish I could keep them!

Back