What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it true that Sarracenia Purpurea can thrive in shade?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I've read from several carnivorous plant sites that because Sarracenia Purpurea is such a low-growing plant, it is adapted to low-light conditions and has been known to thrive in shady conditions.

True?

not thrive. but it manages to hang there.

It doesn't require as much light, but when it comes to sarracenia shade is very relative. They will do a lot better if you provide them with adequate sunlight. They will take as much sunlight as other sarras.

I've seen them in the wild growing in some pretty dense shade. They are pretty much all-green, but they don't seem to be weakened or anything. Obviously, there is a point where they don't get enough photons and die off.

I was just wondering if I could grow them alongside my highland Nepenthes and Drosera Adelaes and Capensis albas.

Under my growing conditions my sarrs get what I would definitely call marginal lighting conditions, only about 7 and a half hours of direct sun a day. Most of the plants do just okay, growth levels are fair, foliage isn't stringy, plants flower, but the plants don't produce very good color. There are three exception to my plants mediocre performance. One is leucophylla, it really struggles all year, the second is purpurea, which grows as much as lueco struggles and the third is Sarracenia ‘Scarlet Belle’, which grow about as well as purpurea. Unfortunately, even purpurea and scarlet belle never really get much color until late fall. I have never tried it, but I have heard that psittacina also does fairly well with less light. Might be worth a try if your stuck with condition like mine.

Well, I have a S. Purpurea and S. "Mardi Gras" that I grow indoors under artificial light next to my tropical dews. I move them to my window sill for dormancy where they get about 5-7 hours of sun and see temperatures of 45 degrees at night right now with the windows open (hopefully even colder in the full winter with the windows closed).

But, this is my first season trying to grow CPs at all let alone indoors. So I'll keep you posted! I can tell you that I got an S. Purp from a Lowes death cube two weekends ago. It came out of the cube almost all green, but now two of the pitchers are about 50/50 green and red. The red could be much darker, though. Maybe with time...

DSC03560.JPG

Shaded purpureas will be green and grow large alas and small pitcher tubes.

What Alexis said.
They will grow, but be of poor colour and specimen type, but hey they will still be Purps and if you like green so be it.
Cheers
Steve

I've found them growing under this
BrevardTrip2010046.jpg

But only a rare clump that is not as healthy looking as Alexis noted
BrevardTrip2010045.jpg

compared to in more open sunlight look at the color difference and overall robustness, my vote is they can't thrive and reproduce as well in shade
BrevardTrip2010059.jpg

Last edited:
Back