What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia seedlings in Kula

Sarracenia seedlings fall 2010

DSC_00520019.jpg

DSC_00540020.jpg

Pretty plants, those palmtree things are cute!

Are those mushrooms in the pots in your second pic?

they are the most annoying things in the world. liverworts. Uggg

Those are seedlings?!

a marchantha species, came across this stuff when collecting biology experiment, i have bad luck in propagating either sarracenia and marchantha....how old are they? mind sharing some tips for sarracenia?

those little umbrellas are the female reproductive parts of the liverwort plant

@ jimscott- Right after I left my last comment, I had a thought which I guess you had too- "When do you stop calling something a seedling and call it a plant? Because those seem pretty past the "seedling" stage to me!" hahaha!

Maybe after one year? To me, these are seedlings:

100_8432.jpg

100_8430.jpg

100_8456.jpg

100_8451.jpg

100_8450.jpg

100_8438.jpg

Looking great Mach, is that rubra alabamensis in the last pic? Has some nice colors on it.
I don't think I've ever seen liverworts in a Sarr collection before, are they taking over everything?

Looking great Mach, is that rubra alabamensis in the last pic? Has some nice colors on it.
I don't think I've ever seen liverworts in a Sarr collection before, are they taking over everything?

Aloha Yann.
indeed it is . I see some color difference between spring and fall pitchers. Need to see what they look like next spring. The liverworts seem to be really the worst in pots I was testing a controlled release fertilizer. Beginning to think some release nutrients too quickly.

They look great, Mach. Did you get a handle on the UV burn off problem?

They look great, Mach. Did you get a handle on the UV burn off problem?
So far the UV light issues seems to be a case by case try and fail sort of deal. Some plants hate it big time in my great outdoors. Have not seen too much with the sarracenia, just do see more red colors on the plants. Suspect that some of the anthocyanin free forms may not like it at all. I am seeing a bunch of red plants in my seeds from S. leuco Hurricane Creek...........

MTF

John Hummer says about 85% of the seedlings from his plants will be 'Hurricane Creek White' (large pitchers, no red). The other 15% will either have some red or not have the big, wide pitchers. If your the seed was from the 'Hurricane Creek White' x ? batches from the ICPS seedbank the percentage of true HCW could be less.

Good to hear. They did come from the ICPS seedbank. Was concerned that my conditions were causing what should have been very white plants to display an abnormal amount of red. Suppose can keep them and label where they came from and not use for producing seeds in the next few years........

Back