What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr dividing question

hey guys, those of you that dig up for dormancy. do you guys divide your sarrs when going into dormancy or do you wait untill you take them out of dormancy ?

Mike Meizwang waits until they're in dormancy- he'll be doing his in a couple weeks.
I always wait until right before they wake up...like...March.

mine are dormant. everything is pretty much all brown. im really considering doing it soon.

The main issue seems to be one of potential fungal infection. I've never had a problem (as he knocks on wood) but I can see where a new open wound would potentially invite something bad and the longer it sits open in cool, damp conditions probably increases the risk. When possible, I try to do my dividing a month or so before I expect new growth.

i just got bondide sulfur fungicide. think that would do the job in preventing that ?

i just got bondide sulfur fungicide. think that would do the job in preventing that ?

probably..
but it would be still be better to wait until spring and do the divisions then..
then there is no need for the fungicide..

Spring is definately better than autumn for doing divisions..

Scot

I do my divisions in the fall as soon as weather cools off enough for me to get outside and mess with plants, but I'm in the south, its a little milder here most of the time. We're having our first frost tonight with temps in the 20's. Last week they were still in the high 80s. That's Mississippi for you!

i went ahead and divided everything. dipped them in the aqeuous sulfur solution, zip loc bagged them and place them in a cooler in the garage.

Back