Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sarracenia seed germination issues

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use 4 weeks stratification--6 weeks seems optimal and is what our Sarracenia lab uses. We get fantastic germination but the absolute key seems to be providing high temps (80F) under cover. Lighting with a good bit of infrared seems to be good at getting them nice and toasty warm. I tried 3 weeks before and there was hardly anything that wanted to germinate.

I have used paper towels, too. I put the seeds in, fold up the paper so they don't fall out, use a 2-min ethanol bath so nothing gets moldy, then rinse with water for a minute or so and bag them right up. I used only a small piece of paper the first time, so it actually dried out completely after 4 weeks in the fridge and the seeds never came up. Either plan to rehydrate or use a bigger piece of paper towel. I just wasn't paying enough attention and forgot about them.

And as far as leuco germination, I had the quickest germination I'd ever seen... like under 2 weeks if I remember, on leucos collected by our researchers from Splinter Hill Bog. It was insane. They're still the most vigorous leucs I've ever grown. I had 3 of the progeny flower in 2 years. No joke.

Dionae grows a heck of a lot more Sarr babies than I do, though--perhaps leucs need higher heat or are more specific about stratification needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way that I could take them back to fridge? I have never done this so Im kinda a newbie..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dionae grows a heck of a lot more Sarr babies than I do, though
    Doesnt mean your input has any less value. I'm definitely not a pro at germinating sarr seeds but just sharing my observations from my limited experience.

There is no way that I could take them back to fridge?
    I have before but you might lose any that have already began to germinate. You might want to try a tip I learned from Fred P, I think it was, and just raise the temps that youre currently growing them in(if youre germinating them at 75F then raise temps to 80+F). I've had success with this method in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt read all the posts, so maybe i repeat, but try dry stratification. Just put your seeds in a plastic bag, no water in, and put this into your fridg at 3celcius for 5 weeks. After, just put the seeds in your moist media, on the surface. Blast them with massive lighting, relative humidity and heat.

Over the years, i have 95% germination rate with this method.

Hope this help!

Ps: if you need to use neem oil, you did something wrong, like not enough ventilation or else.

I speak from my experience, feel free to disprove !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234