What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Struggling sarrs...

jonnyq

Supporter
Good morning!

I've got a bowl containing five recumbent Sarrs... (Same bowl as in the "winterizing" thread.)

Two of the sarrs, S. purpurea ssp. purpurea f. heterophylla and S. purpurea ssp. venosa var montana, have been struggling. It's been about two months for the heterophylla and about one month for the montana...

The pitchers have been browning from the outside in...

I've gingerly checked the montana rhizome and what part of the roots I could access without disturbing the plant TOO much... Didn't notice any obvious root rot or spongy rhizome...

Could this be a natural not-entirely-unhealthy reaction to the shortening daylight? Dormancy?

The only reason I'm concerned is because the other three recumbent Sarrs in the same bowl aren't experiencing these symptoms...

heterophylla:
heterophylla.jpg

montana:
montana.jpg

Last edited:
shortened photoperiod... I'd say you're fine.

If these plants are new, they could just be adjusting to your specific climate- as far as an approaching winter is concerned. As long as the browning doesnt go all the way down to the rhizome, I would also say you are fine.

Jonnyq,
Please include your location as the advice would be different if your in Oz or Michigan or Southern FL....

Jonny, I'm chiming in because you asked me this over email and I haven't gotten back to you. I've never grown heterophylla, but montana does that for me in pots. Even 16" pots. It doesn't do that in my bog gardens (one in 7 zone NC, one in zone 5 WV).

I've tried, montana in pots in lfs, lfs/perlite, peat, peat/perlite and they always look like that by October.

happy gardening, Josh

My purp hetero is looking pretty bad too, and it's in the same container as rosea luteolata which looks good... a couple other sarrs in there look kinda bad, but I'm starting to think it's because they're squeaky wheels or the all-greens just don't do so well.

Hi everyone, I can't thank you all enough for the sigh of relief that I'm able to breathe right now... I really appreciate all the responses... Thank you!

@RL7836 - Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the OP; I hail from sunny Brooklyn, NY. :)

@cp-connection - No worries, Josh! I figured that pix would help anyhow... :D Thanks for the input; good to know that I'm (hopefully) not screwing up the montana too badly... :)

@thez_yo - Ooooh, a rosea luteola... That's at the top of my "would love, but can't afford yet" list... :) Good times!

Last edited:
Back