What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wintering Sarracenia Zone 10

Hey everyone, as ya'll know most of America is experiencing winter for the millionth time, but this is the first year I winterize my temperate Sarracenia and the like. Well, It's barely winter here (December, January, Ferbruary) and November this year has been somewhat warm compared to our other winters (It's a balmy 83F <3). Now that winter is approaching, I was wondering if I would actually be able to over winter my beloved plants in my Zone 10 weather. I'm also planning on making a large bog for all my plants and I'd hate to dig them all up and move then winter-come, then re plant them come-spring.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USTX0854

Thanks.

In zone 10, you can leave all of your temperate plants outside year round.

In zone 10, you can leave all of your temperate plants outside year round.

yes, but..I think Lime is worried that zone 10 is TOO warm..
much warmer than the plants native habitat..

but people in warm climes dont seem to have too much trouble..
because you still get a decreasing photoperiod..shorter days in the winter..
and its *somewhat* cooler in the winter, even you dont hit 30's and 40's..
People in southern california have the same issues, and I know a few people on this forum are growing sarrs and VFTs there..

If you are truly tropical..like Brazil or something, then you might have dormancy concerns, because you dont really have any seasons at all..
but in Texas you should be fine..
the swing in seasons is mild, but it still exists..
just leave the plants outside 24/7/365 and they will probably just go dormant naturally..

Lime,
what are your winters like? how warm is it?
what is an average January daytime high and night time low?

Scot

Lime,
what are your winters like? how warm is it?
what is an average January daytime high and night time low?

I got this from the link I mentioned above<3
I'll start a little chart from November through March.

Month:_Nov_Dec_Jan_Feb_Mar
High:__78__71__69__73__81
Low:__57__50__48__52__58

That chart is just the average, but nights have been in the low 60s recently. The days have mostly been 1 1/2 minutes shorter. Cold fronts usually bring the temperatures to a cold state, perfect for dormancy, but the temperatures rise after a day or so, and if I remember correctly we had an 80F day the Christmas of 2008, I'm not sure why, but it got down to the 40s in the night that day.
My Sarracenia are still putting up pitchers, they are shorter and have more anthocyanin though.

Last edited:
Most of the Los Angeles area is zone 10a,b and 11a. No problems growing them outdoors or in unheated greenhouses. We've got people who have been growing them here since the 70s.

should be no issues leaving them out year round. sounds like you are in an ideal location, as far as not having to worry about anything. i guess the only thing i would be wary of is keeping them too wet, allowing mold to settle in.

I live in Miami and leave all my temperate CP outdoors all year long. The winters are not really cold enough for them, but they do fine. Everything goes dormant or slows down as it's supposed to and wakes up in spring just like everywhere else.

Same here. but as a whole we are much colder than the conditions you have given Lime. :p

Back