What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis From Seed

About 4-5 weeks maybe a little shorter it's forming phylodia right now.

cool! Mine has only been in for a couple of weeks. I'd love to see some pics of them:).

K.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

They are VERY HARD TO SEE EVEN WITH MY WON EYE so i don't mean to sound like a liar or anything but can i wait to take pics in about a week is that ok because i don't think my cam. will be able to capture it if my OWN EYE CAN'T EVEN DO SO.

You can post them whenever you feel like it:).

Ok thanks i wish my older cephalotus would stop making phylodia and start making pitchers but i don't no what causes that.

I think that happens when they go into dormancy but you might want to ask an experienced grower.

cephalotus forms phyllodia :scratch: ? if the seed is just sprouting, you are probably seeing cotyledon which are generally first leaves of a seed to help it get started. i haven't grown cephalotus before, but i would assume that is what it is.

Yes my bad thanks Z i get those mixed up sometimes and then sometimes i just forget.

Everyone knows about starting a Ceph from division, root cutting, leaf pulling and even seed, but has anyone ever tried a stem cutting?

I trimmed four one-inch woody stems from a large typical that I thought were dead & dry. Turns out that they were still "moist" inside, so I planned them horizontally in a simple mix of peat & perlite 1/8 inch deep.

After a month under grow lights, three of the four sprouted with tiny leaves and tiny immature pitchers. I was rather amazed and delighted. :)

So I am assuming that what makes root cuttings work is what causes woody stem cuttings to work also. One would think that stem cuttings on a mature Ceph is less invasive than tearing up a plant to acquire rooting cuttings for propagation.

Thoughts on stem cuttings?

Congrats Fryer! I'm a noob so I doubt if I can add much to the conversation:).

Dionaea

Did you have any luck growing Cephalotus from seed ?

I am trying to grow them and I have bought seed from various sources.

I have some in a propagator at 25c under a red/blue LED lamp and some in pots with a snug lid to provide humidity and these are in daylight at fluctuating temperatures.

I have not bothered to stratify them.

Growing from seed is not difficult if you follow the formula (within reason) International Carnivorous Plant Society

The difficult part is finding viable seed. If you purchase seeds from sources on eBay, odds of getting viable seed is probably quite low. It's best to acquire seed from forum members when their plants are providing seed in season.

Back