What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis From Seed

Whats the environment like that you have them in, if you don mind me asking.

Sand/peat 50:50, sealed inside ziploc plastic bags to maintain humidity. Possibly too much continuous moisture and not enough prey for nutrition. I plan to make some environmental changes, such as peat/perlite in larger pots so I can remove from the ziplic bags and not have them dry out too quickly.

Thanks. Just trying to gather as much info/peoples experiences as possible.

Ceph seedlings are so cute! Would be a cool experience growing them from seed.

I can't help but think, "What if this species never got any larger than these tiny seedlings?". Though tiny, I'm sure those pitchers are functional. Would we humans have ever discovered this pitcher plant species if it only developed 3mm (1/8 inch) pitchers.

Even when tiny they certainly are intricately detailed little pitchers.

Do you all think Cephs would thrive in a super airy medium with a drip line so oxygenated water constantly runs over the roots?

Do you all think Cephs would thrive in a super airy medium with a drip line so oxygenated water constantly runs over the roots?

Yeah, they would probably love it....so would cobra plants if the water was cold.

Doesn't Mobile have a thread on growing Cephalotus hydroponically? (Although this may be the thread I remembered...)

Thanks for the responses and link!

Doesn't Mobile have a thread on growing Cephalotus hydroponically? (Although this may be the thread I remembered...)
I think THIS is the thread you are probably remembering.

I've been experimenting with alkaline soils for growing Cephalotus recently. I have one plant doing rather well in beach dune sand/peat mix and have started a new experiment using 2 parts beach dune sand, 1 part peat and 1 part Dorset pea gravel. Dorset pea gravel is often sold in aquatic shops, so assumed to be inert... it typically isn't! It is sea polished gravel, therefore contains quantities of marine exoskeletons and possibly dolomite, both being alkaline.

Last edited:
GOT MY FIRST CEPH TODAY!!!!

Didn't mean to yell but i'm very happy. Its a beautiful baby. I'll post pics later:).

I'll post some later:).

Some Pics

She's looking good despite being dropped about a week ago:crazy:. One of the older pitchers is dying but still have new pitchers growing. There are 2 tiny pitchers forming between the leaves.

dscf9672.jpg

dscf9674.jpg

dscf9675.jpg

dscf9676q.jpg

dscf9683s.jpg

Cool where did you get yours?

MassMorels:).

cool

Last edited:
My cephalotus seed sprouted not to long ago!

i wish mine would. How long did it take?

Back