What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis From Seed

Good to know, thanks guys!

My Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' has been producing mature pitchers for the past 4ish months if not a little more. My typical has been working on dying and creating 1mm big pitchers since I got it a year ago so that's out of the running, but I will be acquiring a double-ribbed and a more 'squat' shaped pitchered form shortly. I'm not sure if they came from seed from anything related to C. 'Hummer's Giant', but I'll ask the seller to see if they did if they know. Ideally considering that I grow them outside, once they bloom I should have natural pollinators pick up the slack for me and I'd love to get some more diversified seed out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice info in this thread. Thanks to all involved:)!

I thought that it took a lot longer then 18 months for a ceph to reach maturity. That gives me hope that when I can someday I can get a plant up to a size as some of the ones that I have seen on this site.

I thought that it took a lot longer then 18 months for a ceph to reach maturity.
Mine took ~26 months to get to the size shown in the pics (I don't know whether this is fast or slow) - but they were producing mature pitchers several months before the pic was snapped....

As with all seeds/seedlings, the time to maturity will be dependant on environmental factors. The same reason why some peoples adults plants grow faster than others.

When my non- Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' clones get older, i would love to try some cross-pollination. However, I'll want to talk to some who have done this to see what they recommend as an approach.

Which is exactly the intent of my little scheme. Hopefully the bees will do all my cross pollinating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I purchased two packets of Cephalotus follicularis seed from "Sundews Australiana". I believe this company was owned and operated by Phill Mann. I believe he is presently operating his hobby CP business as, "Southern Carnivores", since the addresses for both are the same.

The two seed packets had very generous amounts of seed. I planted fifteen seed from one packet and obtained at least a dozen seedlings. I simply sowed the seed on the surface of the media, kept it moist, and within a week the seed began germinating (no stratification), I only pre-soaked the seed in warm tap water for a few hours, immediately before placing each seed semi-equidistant from each other with forceps on the media surface.

Last edited:
I got around 20 seeds from a Hummer's Giant, did the stratification thing. 7 of them sprouted and two survived. They are very tiny right now pitchers are maybe 1/16th of an inch.

OK here's something lucky that happened this year. I had a small cobra lily that croaked earlier this past spring when it got too hot one day. I tried to save it and put it in my basement where it was cooler but it was just too late. Since it was planted in live LFS and perlite, I thought I'd wait and see if it would come back or maybe plant something else in the pot eventually. So, several months go by and I wanted to plant something else in it. As I'm removing all the dead cobra leaves I noticed a very very small sprout. I thought it might be sundew or maybe even a nep. It really looked like a nep. After more time went by it turned out to be a Ceph! I have no idea when or how that seed got in there but I'm totally psyched.

will anyone possible trade this seeds to oversea? i was hoping to try it in Malaysia(this something not relate to this topic), but sadly, i just cannot find it...

allenphoon,
You should email Phill Mann and ask him about Cephalotus follicularis seed. I believe he would be a very likely source. The seed I received from him, years ago, was very fresh and germinated easily. His email address is linked here Phill Mann. I mentioned his website in my earlier post.

There are some Cephalotus seeds for sale on eBay UK, with worldwide shipping. I am not the seller nor do I have any association with them.

This is a photo of my Cephalotus follicularis seedlings about a month after sowing the seeds -->

Cephalotus_Seedlings.jpg

They look beautiful!

allenphoon,
You should email Phill Mann and ask him about Cephalotus follicularis seed. I believe he would be a very likely source. The seed I received from him, years ago, was very fresh and germinated easily. His email address is linked here Phill Mann. I mentioned his website in my earlier post.

sorry i did not notice it, thanks!! hope i can buy his seeds =D

Thanks for the sentiments on those little Cephalotus follicularis seedlings. Several of them would fit on my little fingernail. They are so "cute", being so small, yet having pitcher leaves, very similar to adult pitchers, yet not quite.

You may note from the date on the photo that it was a little more than six years ago that I had this group of little Cephalotus follicularis plants. Two of them are still hanging on, but they are only a little larger than they were then. I certainly need more practice growing seedlings to adults. My one mature plant is still doing quite well, but hasn't bloomed yet.

- - - - -
I sowed fifteen of these seed, right after I received them, either September or October of 2004. Twelve germinated right away (one was a weak runt, and perished soon after germination), eleven are together in this two inch pot. I had misplaced the seed pack, but recently located it, so I sowed the remainder of that packet (viability is said to wane quickly as seed ages - beyond a few months), even though none may remain viable, I figured I couldn't lose any more by sowing them now. There were sixty-four more seeds remaining in the packet. I certainly wished I'd sown more of them back in 2004, and I sure hope some of them are still viable.

My hat's off to Ron (RL7836) for successfully growing his seedlings to mature plants.

Last edited:
So, in 6 years they're only a lil larger than your finger nail?

Yes, I'll try to take photos tonight, and post them by tomorrow morning.

Wow. Thats a slow grower:).

I expect it's more a matter of my need to improve my growing technique, rather than a fault of the plants themselves.

Back