What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Sarr winter hardiness

Can a Sarracenia Dania's delight survive in zone 7a in a four inch pot unprotected over the winter.
If not, will it be able to survive in a mini-bog in these conditions.

Probably not in an uprotected pot, but I believe it could survive in a minibog if it was in-ground.

I agree with Exo,
I have many Sarrs in a zone 8 bog and never had a problem although I do sometimes put a little protection over them in prolonged cold spells. A pot however will freeze hard in a relatively short period of time.

Steve

Agreed. I have had my sarrs freeze solid twice so far this fall due to my lazyness. They can take it for a short amount of time, but will quickly become freezer burnt if allowed to stay frozen solid for very long.

If you place them in a minibog under the ground you probably want to place mulch over the top of them to protect them. Check them every so often to insure the soil is moist and no fungus or mold is growing.

thanks!
On other forums they said nothing of whether they ment an unprotected pot or a underground bog. Will a northern S. Purp survive in these conditions?

thanks!
On other forums they said nothing of whether they ment an unprotected pot or a underground bog. Will a northern S. Purp survive in these conditions?

Nothern S,purpura can survive being frozen solid....they don't even need mulch.

Back