What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus acclimation: a little worried

I think you'll come to find that with time Cephs are quite adaptable plants. For some reason they get a bad rep as difficult plants but I can tell you of friends that are growing some of their Cephalotus in potting soil.

They are also susceptible to spider mites, scale, thrips, and aphids, which can cause similar issues. Just to rule them out, I'd get a magnifying lens or 10x loupe, pull one of the affected pitchers and take a very close look. No sense in changing everything if it turns out to be one of these pests.

I would suggest you stop putting anything into the pitchers - either water or food. This is probably the cause of some of your problems. Let the plant get acclimated to your conditions and let it put up a few new pitchers before you start feeding it.

Water is mainly suggested for plants that were shipped (and lost all their fluids during shipping). I have consistently found that those existing pitchers that lost fluid during shipping are pretty much doomed. Adding water may delay pitcher death but all the existing pitchers will die off soon.

Since you bought this locally, your plant's pitchers should have kept most of their fluid.

Back