What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli Growing

Anyone know about the specific things on how to grow a Heli? i know not to use tap water garden soil and stuff like that i just need to know like what kind of soil mix how much sunlight have to grow in a terrarium and stuff like that thanks.

Anyone know about the specific things on how to grow a Heli?
As TheFury suggests, the search function is your friend. Another area where you can find many answers to your questions is Barry's FAQ.

As an aside, you'll find everyone will be much more helpful if you show that you've done a bit of homework on your own 1st. People in other threads have been offering helpful advice which your tendency is to reject and then state that you don't mean to be rude. You might want to consider their advice before rejecting it out-of-hand - this could also reduce the need to keep using your rudeness disclaimer... (using the 'spell check' function within a Firefox browser could also help your cause) ...

FWIW... based on my experience

Caveat, your mileage may vary…there are no black and white answers nor guaranteed successful methods. If you ask five growers you will probably get five different variations of these recommendations. These are what I consider the basics...

Lighting: For optimum growth, more is usually better. Indications of inadequate lighting are lack of color, small or no nectar spoon development (most species) and loss of typical pitcher shape.

Temps: Highland temps in the range of 50-75f are best. Higher temps may be tolerated by some specimens but loss rates increase proportionally with temperature.
Many sources state that a 10-15f night time temp drop is “required”.
(Based on my experience, I have not found this to be true.... my plants experience little if any night time drop)

Substrate: Everything from live Sphagnum to shredded Cypress bark has successfully been used by one hobbyist or another. For young plants with delicate roots a 1:1 mix of Sphagnum and Perlite is a popular choice.

Humidity: A range of 60-90%RH is commonly used in cultivation.

Fertilization: Fish pellets are a very safe option here and used by many. Root feedings are also popular and highly effective but best developed in response to individual conditions and needs.

Water: Helis are not very picky in my experience…but to be safe RO or soft tap is best.

HTH’s
Av

Back