What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's difference between S. rosea and S.purpurea?

Sarracenia rosea is a newly named species that was formally known as S. purpurea subsp. venosa var. burkii and commonly known as Burke's Southern Pitcher Plant. The proposition for the plant to be named a new species arose in 1999. This proposition was based on three main factors. The first is that the plant has larger flowers on shorter stalks. Secondly, the plant has light pink petals, a feature no other species in the genus exhibits. Thirdly, the plant has a somewhat different pitcher structure than Sarracenia purpurea. A form which lacks anthocyanins has been described as Sarracenia rosea f. luteola.

I personally don't think that Rosea deserved to be called an all-new species. I think it should have been a sub-species. It's just too similar to a regular Purpurea.

This thread has the best (& longest) discussion I've seen on the topic. If you have the patience, it's an excellent read iirc....

Thanks, guys.

Wow, Ron, that thread is too long and very informative.

I'm all for purpurea ssp. burkii or ssp. rosea. Why a whole new species? Why not a subspecies classification exactly as with the other two, purpurea and venosa?

Back