What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a bit of Ceph help

Hey everybody, it's been quite a while since I stopped by :D
Well I'm gonna skip the greetings for now and kinda get right to the point here: I've had this Ceph for a pretty long time, maybe a year and a half (long for me lol) and it was absolutely beautiful when I got it. I think it was from the auction two years ago. Anyways it's been through a lot, what with moving across the country and making it adjust to being in a cold window, rather than having it being pampered under lights in my warm, humid room :-( It's been slowly declining ever since the move, leaves and pitchers dying off one by one. Just a few are left now, and there isn't much I know that I can do for it. I've been forgetting to water it lately, which doesn't help it at all. So my main question is, does it have much chance of survival?
I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, if I can even remember how lol.

If you keep forgetting to water it I'd say it has zero chances of survival.

OFF TOPIC: Is that I white German shepherd I see?! <3 I have a rescue pup (so we don't know for sure on her breeds), but we think she's got white German in her. She is the most awesome dog.

148460_149355371777194_100001081951674_258461_2422705_n.jpg

Sorry for totally going off topic there, I just got so excited is all. XP

My understanding of Cephs is that they are ridiculously picky. Can we get any more details? Temperature/humidity levels? It could well just be pouting until it decides its new conditions aren't so bad after all (unless they are).

But yeah, I'll agree with NaN, not watering a plant is typically a pretty reliable way to kill it. ;p

Way to be motivational NaN
XD lol I'm jk, any advice is appreciated. I'll try and be better about watering it, hoping it makes it but I don't see much chance :(
I don't have my thermometer or hygrometer any more but I'll try and get some "estimates" tomorrow. Being winter right now the window gets pretty cold. My mom leaving the window open all through fall until like November didn't help much either..

And yeah Reaper, she is a white german shepherd! We've had her for a few years now and we love her so much :p They're great dogs, it's good to meet someone else who thinks so too

It might have been the watering, or maybe the weather, but if you can, post some pictures, that would be the best way to help you out, i think. I have had one of mine over 2 years and others over 1 year. I have lost some due to pampering too much. Weird, i know. The ones that do the best actually have their soil on the dry side, but they never completely dry out. And they have survived temps down to 39F and up to 115F in low humidity. What are your conditions?

So are you living in Washington now?(you were moving to Washington right?!) lol...
So if you are in Washington, i would say your problem is probably lighting at this time of year...
I'm finding that my cephalotus love as much light as I can possibly give them...
Mine grow in the back center or dead center of my intermediate-lowland terra under 6x 24" 24watt fluorescent bulbs...(3 2 bulb fixtures) in a 30 gallon tank on it's side... So the top is the front of the terra and is not covered at all providing adequate air circulation... I've also found that they really benefit from being fed, much like how people feed fish food to their dews or neps, I drop a couple Betta fish pellets in each pitcher every few weeks... They love it, the plant has trippled it's diameter in a couple months because of this and its new pot I'd assume haha...

Hey Kris! Been a while huh? Heh yeah I've been here about a year and a half now. Had the ceph in the window the whole time, it loved summer but as winter came along and I got distracted with like.. everything, I forgot to water it sometimes. I'm actually hoping to get a few plants soon and start up a new collection. I'm working on getting a job right now, I'm tired of saving allowance for a month to buy one plant,. So I should be able to afford a much nicer, less ghetto setup this time around. Probably going to be moving into a new, bigger house before summer next year, so space won't be a problem now.

Also, *facepalm* My lazy self has forgotten to take pictures. Going to do that right now.

Edit: Ok got a pic, I don't have a fancy camera any more but I do have my magical Droid camera :D
The plant looks pretty sad right now, having been in such low light for so long. I used to not even be able to see the soil under all the pitchers...
View attachment 1638

Last edited:
The non-carnivorous leaves look perfectly healthy to me as well as most of the remaining pitchers. Carefully trim off the brown leaves and make sure to keep the medium from drying out completely and you should be all right. If it's in the winter non-carnivorous phase don't expect a lot of growth during the winter. It looks like you two possibly three growth points. You could also try starting a pulling from one of the non-carnivorous leaves.

How old is the media in that pot moo? Looks like it could use to be freshened up a bit but if the plant has been under shock I wouldn't disturb it yet. I'm asking because of the dead moss on the surface which can be an indicator...

Here's my white shep next to his (now finished) mansion :) Didn't expect a pony, he's only 6 months...
76910_820496795888_20714884_44850546_1705846_n.jpg

44213_797586029248_20714884_44299100_210400_n.jpg

Back