What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Baby Cephalotus follicularis

I'm so jealous right now. I thought I was watering my Cephalotus follicularis too much, so I gave it one last drink before I went on a 10-day long vacation. I came back and the damn thing was dried crispy. I feel absolutely awful about it!! I'm determined to try again and succeed, although I'm hoping the 'phoenix effect' will kick in and I'll see some new growth in a few weeks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats horrible TF. I really hope she puts out some new growth for you. Thanks for stopping by:)!

Ahhh... I remember when I got my first Cephalotus which was about the same size. I also remember when it pumped out its first mature pitcher. Good times. It really is a rewarding plant to grow even though it grows more slowly than some.

and one more thing: DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT allow under any circumstances let the crown/growth point get wet for prolonged periods. if it gets wet it will end up rotting.

As an aside, I remember from several years ago debating this very thing. It's probably best to err on the side of caution but I wouldn't be overly concerned about rotting the crown. For a long time with my Cephalotus plants I only watered the tray but it is good to also water from the top around the plant to circulate and aerate the soil around the roots.

xvart.

Thanks for the tip xvart:)!

Thanks for the tip xvart:)!

No worries. Top watering Cephalotus used to be a pretty hot button topic years ago for the very reason of crown rotting. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of your plant.

xvart.

That is, if I can keep it living:p. Its my fav plant so hopefully I wont baby it to death. So far i've pretty much done nothing and she seems to be growing fine. Shes not as slow as I expected either. Not super vigorous growth or anything but I can def see a difference in her since I bought her.

That is, if I can keep it living:p. Its my fav plant so hopefully I wont baby it to death.

You know, that is a good point, too. Sometimes being to involved and constantly changing things, modifying methods, etc. can be a bad thing. Sometimes it is just best to watch and wait (patiently :-O).

xvart.

I foliar feed my baby Cephalotus.

I give mine a light misting everyday but shes in front of a fan so she dries off quickly. I haven't changed anything since I got her though. Shes been in the same environment since she made it here:).

Nice. She seems to be putting out lots of new growth albeit small. Love the look of the new pitchers.

dscf9426w.jpg

dscf9427.jpg

dscf9428.jpg

dscf9429.jpg

I'm so jealous right now. I thought I was watering my Cephalotus follicularis too much, so I gave it one last drink before I went on a 10-day long vacation. I came back and the damn thing was dried crispy. I feel absolutely awful about it!! I'm determined to try again and succeed, although I'm hoping the 'phoenix effect' will kick in and I'll see some new growth in a few weeks...
Sorry to read about that. I wish you more luck with your next Cephalotus. I think that people have a tendency to under, rather than overwater their Cephalotus. I've also noticed that USA growers tend to be far more cautious with watering than Europeans. My Cephalotus stand in trays of water, which I allow to empty before replenishing and I have never lost one. Some people won't be comfortable with the tray method, but I think that it would serve well for vacations. I don't use deep water levels, just enough to last a few days before requiring replenishing.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Nice. She seems to be putting out lots of new growth albeit small. Love the look of the new pitchers.
Looking good. Gotta love the look of those baby pitchers. Here's my newest 'baby Cephalotus'

SS852535.JPG

SS852532.JPG

SS852527.JPG

Thats beautiful Mobile! I just ordered some Cephalotus follicularis seeds. Going to try to germinate them in vitro. Hopefully, the seed will be viable. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your Cephalotus:).

Thats beautiful Mobile! I just ordered some Cephalotus follicularis seeds. Going to try to germinate them in vitro. Hopefully, the seed will be viable. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your Cephalotus:).
I have a pot of seedlings, which I use to 'experiment' with :devil: Typically I try them in different growing mixes. I find germination rate to be quite good for Cephalotus seeds, if they are fresh.

The place I got them from was recommended by someone who said they were reputable so I hope they will be fresh:). I'd love to see more pics of your Cephalotus!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Btw, how do you germinate your Cephalotus follicularis seeds? Medium, temp, etc.

Growing Cephalotus from seed is quite the time commitment. Good luck with germination and you should consider making a post dedicated to following the progress. That would be a good resources for everyone.

I'm really interested in seeing how it goes. :)

xvart.

I'm confident my next Cephalotus follicularis will grow vigorously and take no prisoners.

By the way, mobile, wtf... the colors on that baby Cephalotus are insane. Absolutely gorgeous.

Growing Cephalotus from seed is quite the time commitment. Good luck with germination and you should consider making a post dedicated to following the progress. That would be a good resources for everyone.
Good thing i'm so patient:p. I'll def do a thread on them. Idk if its against the rules to say where I got them or not but if anyone wants to know just PM me:).

Leaf Pulling

Took a pulling from my lil Cephalotus follicularis. I was surprised when I checked on it today and it had roots:0o:.

dscf9886.jpg

Back