What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Baby Cephalotus follicularis

Wow you are a good Cephalotus grower i hope i turn out to be as good as you i have only grown carnivorous plants for a year now next month.

I'm seriously not that good of a CP grower and you've been growing them double the time I have. I've just been lucky with these. Can't keep a Dionaea muscipula seedling alive:p but my Cephalotus just keeps growing.

Recently received some fresh Cephalotus follicularis seed from a friend in AU. I hope they germinate for me. Guess I could throw up a thread on them like I said I would:).

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't keep venus flytrap seedlings alive either it's wierd after about 3-4 months for me they just suddenly die for some odd reason?

Could be a lot of things. I was having issues with aphids and letting the medium dry out too much. Sounds like you might of had a damping off disease of some sort, maybe.

I'm going to give them a try again soon. Maybe i'll have better luck.

Cephalotus Update

Shes coming along fine. Putting out lots of lil pitchers now. I ordered a few more of these. Should be here sometime in the next couple days. I've really taken a liking to these plants:).

dscf9947p.jpg

dscf9946h.jpg

dscf9945.jpg

dscf9944a.jpg

Nice, Eric!

I finally got one...and it is hardy...I'm giving it the usual treatment: plop plant in sun and see if it survives.

I'm sure you'll keep her alive:). One of my new ones arrived today. I'll post pics of it later.

I'm sure you'll keep her alive:). One of my new ones arrived today. I'll post pics of it later.

Is this the Cephalotus follicularis you got from me? Wait.. did you get a Cephalotus from me? :scratch:

Looking good dionae :) Here's a quick update on mine from an ealier post in this thread. It's doing well but unfortunately so is the moss!

SS852628.JPG

Is this the Cephalotus follicularis you got from me? Wait.. did you get a Cephalotus from me?
Yes and yes:).

Looks good Mobile. Nice coloring. I have to do a weekly tweezering of moss from around my Cephalotus follicularis. That stuff grows like crazy. Feels like a carpet is growing in my pot:p.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Heres the newest addition. Nice color and a nice sized trap:).

dscf9971f.jpg

dscf9970g.jpg

dscf9972f.jpg

dscf9973.jpg

dscf9975m.jpg

Put a dome over her as advised by an experienced grower and she has really grown since last update. Shes done so well I decided to put domes over all of my cephs:).

dscf0227.jpg

dscf0226fo.jpg

dscf0224ns.jpg

dscf0225ew.jpg

CZ clone working on a new pitcher. Shes also under a dome...with exhaust holes of course.

dscf0217.jpg

I wouldn't advise on putting a dome over Cephalotus, unless you have some way of creating air circulation within it, as this will significantly increase the humidity and thus the risk of crown rot. You also have to wean Cephalotus off of high humidity if you later decide that you don't want to grow it under a dome.

The domes are vented and i've actually seen improved growth so i'm going to stick with it. The guy that recommended it has some of the most beautiful cephalotus' i've seen and he swears by it. The terrarium they are in has plenty of air circulation too:).

Ok, it was just a word of caution, as I lost approximately half of my 2009 seedlings which had a dome over them and I swear that it was due to high humidity and lack of air circulation.

Thanks Mobile. If I notice any decline on any of them i'll be sure to take the domes off:). So far, looks like its doing them good.

Vent holes or not it may not be enough, and I agree with mobile 100%, even if you seen improved growth, it could all change and spiral downhill dramatically if something goes wrong, raising the humidity is not always a good thing, my cephalotus grow like weeds in less than 40% humidity, you just need to think what is best, somewhat faster growth and the higher risk or death? Or slower growth and a higher chance of survival... Ultimately its your decision...

you just need to think what is best, somewhat faster growth and the higher risk or death? Or slower growth and a higher chance of survival... Ultimately its your decision
Exactly. Mine have been in high humidity since i've had them. 70% or better. If I notice a decline...i'll remove the domes. As long as they keep growing well...i wont. I trust the grower who gave me the advice and like i've said, i've seen a big improvement since trying it.

I wouldn't advise on putting a dome over Cephalotus, unless you have some way of creating air circulation within it, as this will significantly increase the humidity and thus the risk of crown rot. You also have to wean Cephalotus off of high humidity if you later decide that you don't want to grow it under a dome.

It's a horrible process to acclimate cephs to lower humidity - they really love to drop all but maybe 2 of their pitchers going from 80% or so, down to my 10-30% during the day :(. Grow all your cephs hard and never look back :jester:

Thanks thez yo:).

Looking better and better Dionae i will try to get some pics of my Ceph seedlings soon ok?

Back