What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Baby Cephalotus follicularis

Thanks eou! Love to see your pics.

Not to hijack your thread or anything but here is a crappy cellphone shot of one of my typicals growing in low humidity. (I don't have Internet until tomorrow since I just moved)
97845ffc.jpg

I did have mine in higher humidity as well.. which is why they started developing the "Top Hat" syndrome (as discussed in that thread). I did notice an excellerated growth rate, but a higher amount of pitcher rot. I have since moved them to lower humidity (from 95%LL to 75%HL), with fan circulation, and T5 lighting. They only stalled for about a week (with no die off), then started growing once again. Not as quickly.. but more of a solid, healthy looking growth.

Looking kind of BLAH in the high humidity..
100_7493.jpg

Both of you have amazing cephalotus' and i'm not trying to say I know more than you guys about them or that this will work for everyone. Mine are just growing great with the recommendation and if it isn't broken...

Heres a post from the guy i got the idea from and a few of his plants.

yes cheps can be a very weird plant to grow some times , even here in its home land ,some people here still have trouble with them , cephs do not have a dormant time really, its more like a slowing of growth , because where they grow in the wild there is now snow or ice or extreme frosts , its more temperate zone dormancy is not needed to survive any harsh conditions !. my friends here that have exceptional large ceph plants have plastic covers over them ?? and grow them in green houses or plastic houses , one person in particular who grows the larges ceph i have ever seen has some of his best plants growing this way ! so there is some thing in it , weather it will work out side of Australia will need you guys to see !! just make sure it still get ventilation too ok !!
J
just come back to put a few pic's up what i did have not got a before and after shot but the new pitchers come up with in 2 weeks

p1100448.jpg

p1100446j.jpg

p1100041q.jpg

Pics and plants belong to snapperhead51

Wow cool spaghnum.

wow, nice plants.

More Cephalotus Pics

Heres a few pics from 4 of my plants:).

dscf0409h.jpg

dscf0410b.jpg

dscf0411v.jpg

dscf0412.jpg

dscf0413e.jpg

dscf0401u.jpg

dscf0403s.jpg

dscf0400s.jpg

dscf0396z.jpg

I love the last one! :)

Looks like someone is becoming a ceph addict! Hey, I tried to warm you when you got that first one.. ;)

Thanks eou!

Mass I was addicted before I even got the first one:p. I'm hoping to keep adding different clones to my collection until I have enough to fill a nice sized tank with them. I have 6 plants atm with one leaf pulling rooted and another rooting. I'll just be happy when the smaller ones put out their first adult pitcher.

I'll just be happy when the smaller ones put out their first adult pitcher.

You say that now.. but when it actually happens, you'll need MORE!

After my previous ceph died :( I was determined to try again. Here's my new baby:

5604248397_17a3db8d23_b.jpg

It's potted in 3 parts sand : 1 part peat with a top layer of pure sand. It's looking a little wet because I just repotted and watered it. I'm feeling good about this one! :banana2:

Yay! Yeah I just pot mine in something really porous and keep it standing in a little bit of water all the time because I don't want to be pouring water through something peaty. The sand will make it stand out something awesome once you get some MONSTER pitchers on it!

So yours is in a peatier mix? I was debating what sort of mix to go for an I ultimately decided on a sandier mix. The sand I used is really coarse too... it's Estes brand "marine sand" for aquariums. I went for a sandy mix this time because I wanted to be extra careful about moisture in the mix. I read on ICPS that 3:1 sand/peat is ideal, so I figured why not.

And yes... when this thing gets some monster pitchers (counting the YEARS now, LOL) I'll be thanking myself for creating this nice white backdrop!

I find that Cephalotus are not very particular about the potting mix. I usually use equal quantities of peat, perlite and lime-free sharp sand. More recently though I have been omitting the perlite, as I don't like the colour of it and the fact that it floats to the surface when watered.

I went for a sandy mix this time because I wanted to be extra careful about moisture in the mix. I read on ICPS that 3:1 sand/peat is ideal, so I figured why not.

For me and my plants a much peatier mix is much better.
With more peat the substrate can hold more water and cannot dry out so quickly.

For my delicate young plants from leaf cuttings (taken in Mai 2010, see picture) I also use a top dressing of Sphagnum, so that I easily can see when it is time for watering: The Sphagnum changes its look very much when it gets dry.

Cephalotus_Cuttings_Sphagnum.jpg

I think, Cephalotus can grow under many different cultivation conditions.

I use 50/50 peat/sand. I have one plant in sand, peat and diatomaceous earth. It had died back quite a bit from shipping but has new growth sprouting from the rhizome. I think they are pretty adaptable and not very hard to grow at all. I just took mine from an aquarium that was %70 humidity to a mini greenhouse thats %40 and they didn't even slow down a lil.

All of you have some very nice cephalotus'. Thanks for sharing pics and mixes:).

Update

heres some pics of a few of my cephs. I moved them a lil closer to the light so they are starting to color up a lil:). Thanks for stopping by!

My 1st Cephalotus

dscf1567h.jpg

dscf1568m.jpg

Meadowview clone

dscf1569f.jpg

dscf1570.jpg

CZ clone

dscf1571h.jpg

dscf1573i.jpg

Update

Hello everyone:)! Thought i'd share a few pics of my cephalotus collection and their progression.

dscf2167l.jpg

dscf2171fl.jpg

dscf2170mc.jpg

dscf2172zq.jpg

dscf2168g.jpg

dscf2176q.jpg

dscf2173c.jpg

dscf2174ye.jpg

Dang.. How many is that now?

Back