What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia from Lowes-is dormancy worth it this year?

Can Darlingtonias be on a shallow water tray like Sarrs and Dews or should it get good drainage at all times like a HL Nep?

I grow mine partially submerged this time of year (pot height: 6" - water level: 5.5") - they don't mind water at all. :)
I suspect they're also quite tolerant in the heat; I let some seedlings bake to a crisp one summer and although I thought they were totally dead (pot was feather-light, leaves had gone past sunburned to a scary bleached white appearance) I put them in water about an inch deeper than the crown and in a few days they perked right back up.
In the wild they grow in seeps and streams, so I suspect as long as the water is aerated and changed regularly you could treat them like any other shallow-water/transitional pond plant.
~Joe

PS - I guess the answer depends on what you think of as "drainage." The media should drain well - but the pots don't have to be kept out of the water. Contrary to the folks down at SNW, I use big, tall pots for my specimen plants, just so I can leave them in trays of water without having to worry about the roots getting too soggy. (Big pots are also a good provision against freezing and drying.) The ones in shorter pots don't seem to mind though.

Last edited:
I've used the so-called double Slack method. One pot rests on another and you water from overhead. The water drains through but the plant doesn't sit in water.

Thanks guys. My potted plant terrariums are kinda "slack method" cos the pots all sit on a bed of moist LFS with live sphag growing ontop. Seems to keep the soil at a good moisture level. Pots don't ever seem to totally dry out in these tanks. When I set them on egg crate the pots can get bone dry if I get busy and forget to water for a week or so. I forgot about my potted plant terrariums for a couple weeks after my dad passed away and I was real busy, but I watered them all the other day and they're still fine, not crispy and some are making new pitchers (including N. jacquelinae finally). I attribute their survival to sitting on that wet moss bed, if they had been on egg crate they'd likely have been toast. Hopefully the Darlingtonia will go for that.

You'll do fine I'm sure. If highland Neps like it you should be gold. Darlingtonia are apparently one of the temperates that can be adapted to indoor culture so long as cool nights are provided - I haven't tried it myself though. (Leaving them on my porch is some much more convenient. :D )
~Joe

@eou812: do you know what plagiarism is? because you just committed it. If you do not have any personal experience regarding growing CPs, it might be better in many instances just to not say anything it at all.

Acctual swords Darlingtons need to be in between the good drainage and the shallow tray it should be in a 1/4 of water or less or water it everyday in the Summer sometimes two times a day and here is how you take care of a Cobra Plant (Darlington Californica).

So that's about it hope it will help anyone who needs help with there Cobra's or there new Cobra's!

@amph - Lolololol.

I'm worried about mine. I have it outside and the substrate appears to be frozen solid. The plant doesn't look dead or anything... I just don't know what to do with it.

It would most likely be too warm inside, too much of a shock to take it from freezing to indoor temps I would think... But if I leave it outside, it will definitely freeze harder in the oncoming weeks.

Hmm...

Yeah, that's the thing. I haven't seen a Darlingtonia in over 2 years at Lowes, and when I do, it's winter! I guess I'll try to keep mine growing, but it definately is getting dormancy next year.

It seems like they get their shipments of CPs for winter. It was last winter that I got my Judith Hindle at Lowe's. I had my own "is dormancy worth it this year?" post.

I put my Lowe's Darlingtonia under my lights. I'm going to repot it soon so I can perhaps care for it water-wise in a way closer to how it likes.

@eou812: do you know what plagiarism is? because you just committed it.

Where did the original text come from? I have it saved because it's great, and I'd like to credit it properly.

BTW: See ya in a few hours! :boogie: :spazz:

I have been growing Cp's for a long time and i am growing three cobras right now and they are doing great!

In the wild they grow in seeps and streams, so I suspect as long as the water is aerated and changed regularly you could treat them like any other shallow-water/transitional pond plant.
~Joe.

So could growers in the easter seaboard put an aquarium air stone in the water trays? while having a mix that drains well?

I would not give it dormancy because most of the plants from lowe's are not healthy (but some are) and are not ready to go through cold weather most likley if you do it would die. i would start growing it under lights unless you live in zone 10 or greater.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Then you could grow it outside.

People if you see a post in violation of forum rules or intellectual property laws (i.e. copyright) use the "report" button in the lower left of the post. Don't we have enough drama around here as it is?

Sorry i forgot to say by Sarracenia Northwest at the end MY BAD EVERYBODY I EDITED IT SO NO NEED TO REPORT AND YES THERE IS ENOUGH DRAMA GOING AROUND HERE isn't there.

Last edited:
Where did the original text come from? I have it saved because it's great, and I'd like to credit it properly.

BTW: See ya in a few hours! :boogie: :spazz:

Wait, BACPS is today? Cool!

So if all you need to do is to keep the Darlintonia mix aerated then you can put an air-stone in the water tray?

So if all you need to do is to keep the Darlintonia mix aerated then you can put an air-stone in the water tray?

That could be one way of doing it... I personally use continuous water circulation to achieve the same effect. And be careful about keeping the pot in a tray of water...

Back