What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My dying Cephalotus...

My thought, when I first looked at your photos, was that the plant looked like it was in the process of a come-back after experiencing some undesirable environmental effect, like: sudden exposure to extremely low humidity, having the media too dry for too long, overly strong light exposure, etc. Having that many new pitchers forming, seems like a good sign for the future of the plant.

Having that many new pitchers forming, seems like a good sign for the future of the plant.
Providing that the conditions that made the plant die-back in the first place are rectified.

Precisely, as mobile said. Thank you mobile, for adding that important snippet of information.

Yes, the new growth looks promising, provided sufficient conditions conducive to health growth is maintained. Trim off the dead material. The large pitcher with the red splotches and white fuzz growing on it is not a good sign. Trim it off and treat with a fungicide. Systemic fungicides would be the best option but stuff like Cleary 3336 is difficult to come by in small quantities. I've used sulfur based fungicides on Cephalotus with no detrimental effects (mixed results). See the video linked in this thread for options and usage. Do not apply (as per the FAQs) a popular Trichoderma based product until any existing fungal infections have been controlled.

Using expensive reptile UV lamps for plants are a waste of money and electricity. Plants do not use the UV wavelengths for photosynthesis.

Do not apply (as per the FAQs) a popular Trichoderma based product until any existing fungal infections have been controlled.
... and all remnants of the proposed fungicide are gone, as these could kill Trichoderma which is also a genus of fungi. I'm not sure of the compatibility of typical fungicides with Trichoderma but sulfur based fungicide could persist for a long time.

My cephalotus is back after trimming away the dead leaves/pitchers. The root system and crowns are clearly very healthy in this plant, it's just the leaves/pitchers that died off due to winter adjustment. You can clearly see the new green growth now. I have it under florescent lights with good temps and humidity. Thanks for the help, everyone!

thats good that there is new growth, but that is definetly not from winter rest. winter rest typically involves slowed down pitcher production and then the production of its winter leaves (non-carnivorous leaves.) It seams that some of the new stems are already yellowing as well. I would tend to think that its root rot and its going to continue rotting.

My cephalotus is back after trimming away the dead leaves/pitchers. The root system and crowns are clearly very healthy in this plant, it's just the leaves/pitchers that died off due to winter adjustment.
This is not 'winter adjustment'. I have grown Cephalotus for many years and none of them have shown this habit during seasonal change. Typically growth slows down and more leaves are formed in winter but the pitchers do not die.

Back