What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Cephalotus Collection fit for a King! [warning: picture heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly magnificent!

Cephalotus Terrarium with at least 25 known different species of CPs.. mainly from Australia. The showcase plant is a fine Cephalotus Czech Giant specimen.

My monster "Czech Giant" cultivar

Cephalotus: "Golden Clumper" cultivar-- new and previously undiscovered form

And... the crown Jewel of my collection: Eden Black!

Could you make your photos 1/3 size? I can't see anything they're so big but I'm sure they're lovely >.<

Omg!....it's a giant ceph pitcher!!!!! I'm inside a giant ceph pitcher!!!!! :-))

I couldn't take it anymore.... tool has been installed to change people's image sizes... they're still way too big MB wise, but at least they don't take BOTH of my monitors anymore. :glare: The hack seems to work fine on my end...
Andrew

I couldn't take it anymore.... tool has been installed to change people's image sizes... they're still way too big MB wise, but at least they don't take BOTH of my monitors anymore. :glare: The hack seems to work fine on my end...
Andrew

Thanks! It won't biggerize smaller photos will it?

And the cephs look absolutely amazingly great! I'm getting two more today too...oooh I'll have to post ceph pics in my pics thread! :boogie:

Thanks! I just want to see what one of mine would look like, so...
2010_12_2056CroppedandCopyrighted.jpg

No, won't upsize... Currently have it set to max size of 800x600.

I do hope they grow well for you!

If i recall you have the hummers that is suffering pretty badly, so i hope you have corrected your conditions. It would be terrible for you to lose an eden black because you probably paid a fortune for it . Also it would be disappointing when there are far more experienced growers capabale of having this plant thrive. So please do your best to provide the best conditions possible.

they are very very nice specimens. i hope your luck is much better this 2nd to 5th time around (considering that's how many cephs you have). keep an eye out for Czech Giant please...4 pitchers simultaneously aborting like that is telling me that something is amiss. i cant see the later two photos for some reason.

That's my entire setup. And no, I did not pay a "fortune" for them. They were purchased at extremely reasonable prices.

Imageshack is always so slow even with reasonably sized images. I have my browser set to block images from Imageshack. I use Photobucket and have it set to resize my images on upload to 800 x 600 pixels out of consideration to forum users.

Andrew: maybe a filter that changes large image links to clickable links would be better if there even is such an add-on?

aaaand uhhh AFIK Eden Black is not even available in the US....if it is, it is in very few, limited collections and would not be that size as the ones that have been released over the last year or so have been very small plants, and those were in europe where the source lives...
Why would you jump into this many rare, ceph clones if you are having problems with your hummer?
i would have at least waited until that one rebounded to ensure that you can grow them...
if that is indeed a true Eden Black, and that thing croaks, i can imagine not only will your wallet hurt, but many cephalotus enthusiasts in the hobby that have been on the waiting list for quite some time for one of those.

As far as your comment on "previously undiscovered form"
it is not a form, it is an unregistered cultivar.
There is one one species of cephalotus, and any cultivar/color variants under it, but no listed varieties or subspecies.

i really hope you know what you are doing, because just buying them up and putting them into an uncertain set of conditions, with what has already proven negative results, could be quite devastating to your collection and again, your money.

when you say reasonable prices, that makes me think even more that the Eden is not the real deal, because one could fetch major money for one of those, much more than a seedling N. edwardsiana would bring in, and one of that size were it the real deal, would probably amount to the price of a near mature specimen of edwardsiana, that is just how rare that clone is.

From the posts you have made so far and the Hummer's thread...I'm very skeptical about this entire thread...If your in the US, you 99.999999% don't have an Eden. The Czech's have not been in "selling" status until about a year or two ago, and are just not that large. The US is WAY behind most of the rest of the world due to overly strick import rules.

If your in the US you are VERY likely getting "sold" typical's with larger pitchers, I've grown typicals with 2" pitchers no problem.

IF these are your plants I would be VERY careful with the one in the bowl...If you didn't get the Hummer's watering right, the bowl plant will be dead soon.

Please be careful.

You have some very beautiful plants:)! Cephs are such amazing looking CPs. The one I just received is about the size of a quarter and I have a whole terrarium dedicated to it:p. I plan on adding more very soon. Congrats on the new cephs!

If your in the US, you 99.999999% don't have an Eden.

aaaand uhhh AFIK Eden Black is not even available in the US....if it is, it is in very few, limited collections and would not be that size as the ones that have been released over the last year or so have been very small plants, and those were in europe where the source lives...

I have a real Eden Black because my source has been friends with Stephen Morley for the past 15 years and got the plants directly from him. Yes, I own one of the only Eden Black plants in the US.

Even if it is the real Eden Black, taking in something that rare with as little experience you have, is incredible foolish and could end very very badly...
I see no evidence of this being the real Eden Black just because you have a friend who grows cephs and apprently knows Stephen Morley,
Only a few people in the US i can think of would be high enough up there to receive an Eden Black in the US, and then turn around and sell it for next to no $ to an amateur grower...
Sounds like you or your friend is getting played, likely yourself.
with the coloration exhibited on the supposed Eden Black, i wouldnt be surprised if it is a scam at all....
i can get better coloration on my typical cephalotus.

i also was looking at pictures of eden black on cpphotofinder and i noticed a slight difference in the two side ribs on your plant compared to the real eden black. you can keep convincing your self that you have it, just like you said you had "red hummers giant". but in the long run you will be doing other people harm by trading them "fake" cephs.

and then suddenly cephalotus will be just as confusing as flytrap cultivars...granted they are already confusing
Obviously if your friend is claiming that "Golden Clumping" is some undiscovered form, clearly it has been discovered if its mature and growing and has been propagated out...
its not a form, its a growth pattern to a single species
You have been played
What proof have you seen from this guy that he is friends with Stephen Morley?
who is this friend of yours anyway? i can think of a few big cephalotus hobbiest/propagators out there in the community that arent very public
Keeping them "private" only makes it seem even more sketchy than it already is.
Chances are 90% of us who are pretty into the cultivation of Cephalotus, have heard the name.

As i have stated, and another has stated,
there are several more qualified people that could grow out this Eden Black over you.
I have been trying to get Cephalotus down for a pretty good time now, and finally have it down, however i would not even think of blowing my money on such a rare plant until i knew i could grow it for sure, since cephalotus will react differently even if put in similar conditions to the previous grower. thats just how they are

didnt it occur to you that maybe you should have fixed your problem with your first cephalotus before you jumped in and spent more money on even more rare plants? if thats what they truly are, and are not just random clones of typical cephalotus that exhibit different characteristics?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

To settle this little debate, i have emailed Stephen on the subject...
Maybe he will chime in and confirm this?
if he has not sent any to the US, we can safely say this is all made up and you got hit with the scam stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back