What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get acquainted with "Golden Spoonchild," my 18-year-old Golden Clumper Cephalotus!

Get acquainted with "Golden Spoonchild," my 18-year-old Golden Clumper Cephalotus!

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have never seen anything that comes remotely close on the regular plant forums, let alone on TF. So I thought it'd be a nice idea to share these mouth-watering photos with the largest CP community on the net.

Meet "Golden Spoonchild." This is a monster of a plant of a newly-discovered, not-yet-registered cultivar. That's right. It has spent the last 18 years in the hands of a private collection... until now. Now, this spectacular plant finally has the opportunity to meet the world stage.

This unreal specimen actually has a far more intricate clumping pattern in its pitchers. If you observe the pitcher-formation-network closely, you will see that the pitchers are actually formed in small "tripods," or "trios," as opposed to the traditional single-stranded pitcher specimens. The color on this monster plant is actually GOLD, yes, GOLD. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... Golden Clumper.

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

I thought it was supposedly Golden Clumper? Dang naming conventions ruin everything. And for the record, even if it does become a registered cultivar (under whatever name) it isn't a cultivar until it is registered, so it isn't newly discovered. It would just be a unique plant that someone might be considering to register.

Also, if it is supposedly golden colored why are there a couple of redish pitchers?

xvart.

Looks sickly and anemic like the other Ceph that had trouble.
Are these growing under the same conditions?
Has anything changed since the "Red Hummer" situation?

Meet "Golden Spoonchild." This is a monster of a plant of a newly-discovered, not-yet-registered cultivar. That's right. It has spent the last 18 years in the hands of a private collection... until now. Now, this spectacular plant finally has the opportunity to meet the world stage.

This unreal specimen actually has a far more intricate clumping pattern in its pitchers. If you observe the pitcher-formation-network closely, you will see that the pitchers are actually formed in small "tripods," or "trios," as opposed to the traditional single-stranded pitcher specimens. The color on this monster plant is actually GOLD, yes, GOLD.

It sounds as though you're trying to sell me something. :)

Listserv.org,
I've tried to see what you describe. But all I see is a large Cephalotus follicularis plant that is struggling to survive. Possibly in need of better nutrition, light, and more optimal temperatures.

I certainly hope you manage to nurse your Cephalotus plants back to full health, soon.

By the way, if it is not-yet-registered, it is not yet a cultivar, only a clone.

Last edited:
The pitcher tendrils are long and noodly, indicating etiolation. (Caused by lack of light.) Improve light and temperature conditions (needs a cooldown at night, like HL neps). If the plant is truly what you describe, then after improving conditions it will look amazing.

Last edited:
lol. this guy cracks me up. actually, you have a "chameleon ceph" cultivar. its going to turn from gold to yellow, then white, brown and finally black. cool

That looks like just a regular ceph that was growing well before, but now is going downhill.

yea looks like a typical thats not getting enough light......i mean i just got one of those in the mail last week for 20$ guess i got a deal hahahahaha wat a joke.........but ne way keep us posted with pics. id love to se it be what u said it is but only time will tell. give it a lot more light and keep us posted.

Back