What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus "Tank Ceph 2", Sibling to C. 'Eden Black'

Here are some pictures of my C. "Tank Ceph 2", sibling to C. 'Eden Black'. It's only small but putting out new baby pitchers on a regular basis.

SS852527.JPG

SS852532.JPG

SS852530.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooo. Pretty.

C. "Tank Ceph 2" certainly lacks the zing of C. 'Eden Black' But I like it!

C. "Tank Ceph 2" certainly lacks the zing of C. 'Eden Black' But I like it!
It took it's name from being one of three seedlings growing in a terrarium, one of which was later named C. 'Eden Black'.

Oh I know, I've heard that story before. It's a very impressive plant even at such a small size. My only point was that C. "Tank Ceph 2" isn't quite as romantic sounding. :p

It'll be cool to see yours grow up!

Beautiful plant Mobile:).

Very nice color on such a young plant. Can't wait to see what the adult pitchers look like.

Any info on the differences between C. "Tank Ceph 2" and C. 'Eden Black'?

Agree with RSS, and hope you update when these develop some nice peristomes.

It took it's name from being one of three seedlings growing in a terrarium, one of which was later named C. 'Eden Black'.

Interesting... I embarrassed to say that I've never heard this story. :) Is the third seedling also in propagation?

Great looking plant. the name makes me think of "Site B" in the Jurassic Park books. Not quite as fancy as the first one but just as deadly.

Nice looking little guy. There seems to be plenty of potential in that one.

Aww, baby pictures are always sooo cute! :love:

It must be something in your water! :-))

Your baby ceph in beach sand (which you transformed from light green to black) & your Ceph "Big Boy" - - - as well as this small relative of C. 'Eden Black' - - - all are amazingly dark colored.

Congratulations on some great growing ... :hail:

It must be something in your water! :-))

Your baby ceph in beach sand (which you transformed from light green to black) & your Ceph "Big Boy"- - - as well as this small relative of 'Eden Black' - - - all are amazingly dark colored.
It's just down to lighting I think. Both C. "Tank Ceph 2" and my dune sand seedling grow under LED lighting. I recently changed the lighting on my dune sand plant and it hasn't liked the change, with some of the pitchers dying. The C. "Big Boy" was growing very close to fluorescent lights, this resulted in good colouration but slow pitchering. I have subsequently moved C. "Big Boy" to a windowsill, where it has rapidly put out new pitchers but with significantly less colouration. The best balance of lighting seems to be with my C. "Tank Ceph 2", as it has good colouration and pitchers well. This plant is under 6W of daylight LED.

.... @ what distance?
Approx 6cm from the top of the plant. It is a 30° lamp, so the intensity is quite high, though it's a cheap LED, so not as intense as my Phillips LED bulb of approx the same wattage. LED are not yet really suited to large grow areas but I like to grow 'feature' plants so am willing to spotlight a single plant with a bulb. I have a Heliamphora pulchella in my living room, under a Phillips LED bulb and it is taking on some really nice colouration, just starting to settle in and produce new pitchers.

Wow that's a really good idea! It's too bad LED bulbs are so expensive... but this makes me want to start experimenting with them in growing plants. I have one and am using it as a lightbulb in the house, but it is not really that effective. :scratch:

Wow that's a really good idea! It's too bad LED bulbs are so expensive... but this makes me want to start experimenting with them in growing plants. I have one and am using it as a lightbulb in the house, but it is not really that effective. :scratch:
I paid £12.50 (~$20.00) inclusive of shipping from Taiwan for the 6W 30° daylight LED bulb. The Phillips one was much more expensive however.

I've tried to read up on the plant LED's but they start getting into move detail than I care for. Any chance you've, or someone else, has wrote a quick and easy any 10 year old can build it LED guide?

It's just finished blowing up its first semi-adult pitcher:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Back