What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia in Kula, Maui

My first flowers for the year 2011. S. rubra gulfensis
DSC_00180001_2.jpg

do the flowers come first before the new growth?

Very beautiful color on those flowers.

You are SOOOO way ahead of us, here!

I am soooo jealous. All my Sarracenia are huddled in deep slumber under frozen mulch.
Where is the emoticon for shivering?

Last edited by a moderator:
do the flowers come first before the new growth?

normally it should in many of the Sarracenia. mine are a little odd as i don't have a frost to kill the previous seasons pitchers. So as long as they are green and not to badly infested with spiders i usually leave them.

i just got some ffrom california and i live in ny they came with buds so im gona let them go for it then put them out in april

I woke up to FOUR degrees today. My Sarracenia are asleep in my garage that is probably close to freezing this morning. It will still be some time until spring comes to NJ!!

In the meantime, thanks for sharing those flower photos. There is still hope.....

Lookin good Mach, warms me up just looking at those. Keep em coming. =)

Today's weather in Kula, Maui, HI
high 81°F and low 64°F
Same as for you lucky folks the northeastern US?

high 81°F and low 64°F

:p Heh, not so much! Currently 11°F, chance of snow...

Beautiful flowers! Do you find that your temperate plants go...(how do I word this)...dormant enough, in such a warm climate?

high 81°F and low 64°F

Just another crappy day in paradise...

You just had to post this to get on my nerves, didn't you?
Looks good!

S. rubra gulfensis

DSC_00640002.jpg

S. alata "Maroon Throat"

DSC_00630001.jpg

S. rosea (S. purpurea venosa burkii). Broke the flower while taking pic. Argh. might be for the best it is only been in the pot for about a year for me

DSC_00660004.jpg

Got this one as S. purpurea venosa but give the color of the umbrella I have my doubts. However, very different from the S. rosea in terms of flower stalk length. seems S. rosea typically makes short ones and the other S. purpurea make long ones. Maybe hybrid?

DSC_00650003.jpg

S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'

DSC_00670005.jpg

S. flava x ?

DSC_00680006.jpg

S. 'Dana's Delight'

DSC_00690007.jpg

S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek, Alabama. Last year germinated a bunch of seeds and kept a bunch indoors to get them to grow two seasons in one. Starting to put up some mature pitchers. I am seeing a fair amount of variation. I suppose I will one day need to make a numbering/coding system for these seedlings.

White and green
DSC_00780011.jpg

white green and a touch of red
DSC_00770010.jpg

red and white
DSC_00760009.jpg

S. flava x ? hybrid
DSC_00840016.jpg

bench wide shots:
DSC_00800012.jpg

DSC_00810013.jpg

DSC_00830015.jpg

Last edited:
That red and white is really something!

Great pics. It's so foreign to me to see them so far along this early, it's still cold and snowy here.

I am extremely jealous! All I have is, well, snow!
That S. flava hybrid is REALLY nice!

Holy Gosh! :0o:
Everything is so spectacular for you, Mach!
Just so awesome and lovely!! :drool:

Aloha Emily,
It has not been a problem so far. Even the temperate Drosera go dormant for me when it is time. I am not entirely sure that it is 100% dependent on temperature. i am guessing that photoperiod has a large effect. We tend to have shorter days that most people in Hawaii because in the morning we are in the shadow of the mountain we live on and in the evening we are in the shadow of the mountains to the west of us.

It might be a problem for some of the further north populations of Sarracenia, Drosera and Pinguicula. Oddly S. purpurea purpurea does fine for me. just doesn't have a long growing season. i think it is hardwired in how long it will grow, make new pitchers and then stop to deal with northern climates .

MTF

:p Heh, not so much! Currently 11°F, chance of snow...

Beautiful flowers! Do you find that your temperate plants go...(how do I word this)...dormant enough, in such a warm climate?

Back