What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep's, empty pitchers

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
I got my first Nepenthes on the 5th of this month.:0o:
Having never purchased "mail order plants" other than aquatic, I was very impressed in the care that was taken in packaging these beauties.
All are happy and growing already.
My question is, will the older pitchers the plant had on it during shipping fill on their own?
I would like to give them a few fly's, as I am holding off for a month or so before feeding them after re-potting.
Thank you

I usually just put a tiny bit of water in the pitchers, the a bug a day or two later. More often than not, it works fir me. Otherwise, they will probably dry out and shrivel up. :(

Thanks for the info...I will spray a bit of water in them and give 'em a coupla days before bugs.

I agree. Also, since mine are outside and in low humidity, every once in a while I have to go refill pitchers on a couple plants because they don't seem to retain their pitcher fluid well. I use a mister set to stream-of-water instead of fine-mist and aim that into the pitcher for the smaller ones.

When receiving a new plant that's shipped bare root, I'll usually cut off all the pitchers and all but the newest tendrils, so that it isn't losing water as it tries to establish roots. If it's potted, you can be a little more relaxed - you might add a tiny bit of water (no more than 10% of the pitcher volume, or perhaps less) to keep it from drying out as it acclimates, but it should produce it's own fluid in time if you're providing good light.
I wouldn't even bother feeding them until they're inflating new pitchers. They don't really need to be fed. Also, if you're going to hand fee, flies are nasty, filthy little things. Be kind to your plant and use something like fish food pellets or wax worms.
~Joe

Personally, whenever I get a new Nepenthes, I like to trim all the pitchers off. The plant will most likely go into transplant shock anyway and loose the pitchers.

Personally, whenever I get a new Nepenthes, I like to trim all the pitchers off. The plant will most likely go into transplant shock anyway and loose the pitchers.

That really isn't the case unless you're getting an unhardened plant or it got really abused during shipping. I still have pitchers on some plants that I got through the mail ~7months ago...

Hasn't lost a single leaf or pitcher: Nepenthes veitchii
P2110022.jpg

The pitcher in the upper right came with the plant. The one in the lower left that's half brown came with the plant, but it's half-brown because I'd bet it's at least a year old now.

I ain't gunna do it!

I just can't cut off the pitchers.
I will wait 'till the plants decide to get rid of them on their own.
All seem to be doing great...the N. maxima x ( Lowii x ventracosa ) has two older pitchers 3"-5", with a new one just opening today.
Thanks Y'all!

Yeah..Like I would have been able to cut these bad boys off.....

Nveitchii01_2-3-11.jpg

First off, let me be the first to say, you posted this in the wrong forum. :p

I think filling the pitchers with a bit of water is a good idea, it's generally what I do and I have had pretty good success with it. I'd hold of feeding though until you have absolutely witnessed new and vigorous growth coming from the growth point, otherwise the insect or food may rot inside the pitcher instead of get digested and that will kill the pitcher.

And while we are showing off our "no-clipping needed Nepenthes" here's my N. ventricosa x glandulifera that came to me looking like this, and it only ever lost one, very small pitcher.

DSCN5647.jpg

Back