What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is that the moorei white knight? And what's lemon like? Nice collection!

No, S. White Knight and S. Lemon are both Meadowview offerings.

S. White Knight is a cross between flava and alata and has bright white tops and flowers.
Here is a pic from my collection last summer.
"A hybrid of S. alata and S. leucophylla notable for the white upper pitchers uncharacteristic of this species cross." .. P. Sheridan
whiteknighty.jpg

S. Lemon is a flava x alata hybrid. Pitchers are huge.
Here is a pic from meadowview. I don't have any personal pics of this one. Lemon is in reference to the bright lemon colored flowers it produces. Pitchers have heavy veining and are very pretty IMO.
Sarracenia-Lemon-Large.jpg

Dash, the Sarracenia "White Knight" is beautiful. Can you be a bit more specific as to its growth habits? When does it send up its most spectacular pitchers? Also, can you give me an idea of how big the pitchers get? I've been on the fence about getting it.

Phil

I got it last summer so haven't had it a full season. It put up some nice pitchers in late summer, but not having it during the spring time I can't really say what part of the season is better. Being part leucophylla, perhaps it will also have nice spring pitchers as well. I'll keep you updated if you like.

The picture above is from a mature, 2-3 growth point plant. Pitchers on my plant got about 22-24 inches if I recall. Very long and slender tube with a more bulbous upper pitcher. Again, not sure about it max pitcher size since I haven't had it very long. Pitchers tend to turn a little red with age.

I have both leucophylla antho free and leucophylla 'schnells ghost' and S. White Knight has more white IMO.

Sounds like a terrific plant. Good luck with it!

Well, so far I have S. Purpurea and S. Rubra Producing buds. I also have P. 'Weser', P. 'Pirouette' , D. All green and D. Big Mouth, producing some buds as well. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Well, I keep my Sarracenia in an unheated attic here in Cleveland, and apparently the photoperiod change sent them into flower, even though it's still in the 20s outside. I had a S. Flava bloom indoors today (stinky!) and have several S. Leucophylla varieties with emerging flower stalks. Oh yeah, my S. Oreophila is blooming too.

Well, here they are.

S. Purpurea purpurea

S. Rubra

D. All Green

D. Big Mouth

P. Pirouette

P. Weser

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Well, guys I tried to upload some pics but, it didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get it to work?

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Well, guys I tried to upload some pics but, it didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get it to work?

Last edited:
Well, I keep my Sarracenia in an unheated attic here in Cleveland, and apparently the photoperiod change sent them into flower, even though it's still in the 20s outside. I had a S. Flava bloom indoors today (stinky!) and have several S. Leucophylla varieties with emerging flower stalks. Oh yeah, my S. Oreophila is blooming too.

Yes, flava smells like urine. I found this out the hard way by cutting it after it opened in order for my wife to bring it to school to show her kids. Not 30 minutes after i brought it in the house the pleasing aroma had spread throughout the entire house. Fun times.

Well, here they are.

S. Purpurea purpurea
[I M G]http://Carnivorous Plants 004[/I M G]

S. Rubra
[I M G]http://Carnivorous Plants 003[/I M G]

D. All Green
[I M G]http://Carnivorous Plants 008[/I M G]

D. Big Mouth
[I M G]http://Carnivorous Plants 006 - Copy[/I M G]

P. Pirouette
[I M G]http://Carnivorous Plants 031[/I M G]

P. Weser
[I M G]http://Carnivorous Plants 030[/I M G]

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

The problem is that you're missing the "www. stuff. com" part of the thing between the image tags. Where did you upload the photos to - photobucket? This forum's photo albums? Flickr? It should be [I M G] h t t p : / / w w w . site you used . com / where it put your photo/ photoname . jpg [ / I M G ]

Here is my first sarr flower!

S. x Catesbaei

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

and a very nice S. flava 'cuprea' pitcher for fun
DSC00241.jpg

DSC00240.jpg

:0o: amazing! I wish my Sarrs looked that nice.

Thanks! I will try to upload them again.

Here's what I got showing a bud so far. It's still early in the season for me though so there may be a few more to add to the list.

S. Lemon
S. White Knight
S. Catesbaei
S. flava var rubricorpora
S. Leucophylla antho free
S. Leucophylla Tarnok
S. flava var rugelli
S. flava
S. minor x leucophylla hybrid (exact parentage unknown)
S. Wilkersons Red x open pollenated
S. rubra unknown (exact variety unknown)

Add...
S. Craig Rudman to the list! I was really hoping this one would flower this year. I will most likely cross it with S. flava var rugelli.

Well, here they are.

S. Purpurea Purpurea
CarnivorousPlants004.jpg

S. Rubra
CarnivorousPlants003.jpg

D. All Green
CarnivorousPlants008.jpg

D. Big Mouth
CarnivorousPlants006-Copy.jpg

P. Weser
CarnivorousPlants030.jpg

P. Pirouette
CarnivorousPlants031.jpg

Carni, that is one massive pot of Sarracenia purpurea! How many of those guys do you have in there?

Hi Baylorguy do you mind if i put some of my tropical plant flowers on here? Because i don't have any mature Cold Hardy North American CP'S yet.

The few flowers I kept got wrecked in the storms :-(
Everyone else's are lovely though!

Great shots, guys!

Sarracenia flava var. ornata

P3310012.jpg

Sarracenia x moorei

P3270024.jpg

Sarracenia 'Tarnok'

P3270022.jpg

Sarracenia x catesbaei

P3310008.jpg

P3310005.jpg

Carni, that is one massive pot of Sarracenia purpurea! How many of those guys do you have in there?

I planted 1 but, it multiplied in to 6. Here are a few more pics.

This is when I first got it.
115.jpg

A few months later.
350.jpg

2 years later.
550.jpg

555.jpg

576.jpg

577.jpg

Now its been 4 years.
CarnivorousPlants005-Copy.jpg

CarnivorousPlants004.jpg

Well now that the cold front has moved through I removed the tarp and a noticed a couple buds peeking out: Here's what I briefly saw:

S. flava
S. flava var. cuprea
S. 'Adrian Slack'
S. flava var. cuprea x X Moorei
S. 'Kimber Red Ruffles'
and possibly S. 'Alucard'

Back