What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minerals in Water?

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I need some help troubleshooting something. I have an RO system... and when water goes through it, it comes out at about 10 ppm. I have been using it in the trays outside for my giant mini bogs. I took the reading this morning and all 3 ranged from 50 ppm to 75 ppm. Any ideas what could have caused this spike?

Phil

perhaps its leaching it out of the media? you could try rinsing the media first and then seeing if that makes a difference...

out of the RO unit?

sounds like your filter is full, the RO membrane can be ready for changing. They do not last forever, and the worse your water is, the less life they have.
Folks around here are getting two years plus on the membranes for their reef tank water changes. Also, depending on your water costs if it matters, as the membrane clogs, there will be more waste water that simply goes down the drain.

If out of the bogs...the first post would be correct...leaching from the media.

Bog on Garth!

hmm, was the original post about the RO water already in the tray spiking or the RO water coming out of the unit ??? i had thought the former.. if not.. probably go with what boxofrain stated..

My RO system is 2 months old... the water is fine coming out of the system (10ppm). I am asking what could cause that same water to spike to 50-75 ppm in trays outside over the course of a few weeks.

Phil

whats the media comprised of? do you rinse it before hand? do you have a sprinkler system that might be spraying hardened water into it perhaps?

leaching is your answer. All orgnic matter breaks down over time, and that stuff ends up in the water.
If the plants are doing well with what is happening, they are probably fine. Most plants can adjust a small amount of tolerance for the conditions we provide.

It could be leaching minerals from your media... But also take into consideration if you are tray watering you are putting in water that has 10ppm of minerals. When the water evaporates, those minerals are left behind. Then next time you add 10ppm water, that adds to the minerals that were left behind previously... Over time this number will rise. You can take the plants out of the tray and rinse it out, you may want to top water a little bit to rinse out the pots as well while you are at it. I'm not sure I'd be worried at 75ppm though. Not yet :p Maybe I'll run out and check some water in my Sarr. trays... I've not rinsed them in a loong time :X
Hope all is well Phil!
Andrew

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Hmm... my ro is about 14ppm and one of my Sarr trays is reading 38ppm, and I cannot recall the last time I took all of the pots out of it and rinsed it. ??? Maybe yours is having dust blow into it adding to the tds? I'm lost. Sorry bud.
Andrew

Edit:
Or maybe the green stuff that randomly shows up in my trays consumes the TDS and that's why it ultimately ends up dying off... once it has consumed all the TDS lol

Last edited:
Come to think of it, all the trays were quite dusty. I think for now... rather than doing something drastic, I will just pay closer attention to the trays. When it gets above about 40 ppm I'll rinse it out. The plants are growing normal... sending up their spring pitchers. Just wanted to see if I needed to take care of a problem before it was too late.

BTW, the Judith Hindle I bought from you is sending up a pitcher!

Phil

It could be leaching minerals from your media... But also take into consideration if you are tray watering you are putting in water that has 10ppm of minerals. When the water evaporates, those minerals are left behind. Then next time you add 10ppm water, that adds to the minerals that were left behind previously... Over time this number will rise. You can take the plants out of the tray and rinse it out, you may want to top water a little bit to rinse out the pots as well while you are at it. I'm not sure I'd be worried at 75ppm though. Not yet :p Maybe I'll run out and check some water in my Sarr. trays... I've not rinsed them in a loong time :X
Hope all is well Phil!
Andrew

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Hmm... my ro is about 14ppm and one of my Sarr trays is reading 38ppm, and I cannot recall the last time I took all of the pots out of it and rinsed it. ??? Maybe yours is having dust blow into it adding to the tds? I'm lost. Sorry bud.
Andrew

Edit:
Or maybe the green stuff that randomly shows up in my trays consumes the TDS and that's why it ultimately ends up dying off... once it has consumed all the TDS lol

andy, I want that green stuff. LOL.

My guess would also be that it is coming from the potting media. Or that something else is depositing the minerals. Is it by chance catching water from your roof?

Phil, sounds like a plan. Glad to hear it's growing already :) quite a few of mine are kicking into action now.

antechron, "Random green stuff from Sarr trays" now added to the store, or PM me for trade opportunities! HAHA :-))

Yeah for random green stuff!

Back