What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

application on substrate..

marf

growlist
hello guys! wanted to ask you something.
many of you have seen the Sarracenia in the wild.
seeing some photos on the net, some Sarracenia in the wild,
with stones and other minerals.
But then they can also be a bit of limestone?

No....as far as I know, no sarracenia grow anywhere near limestone...or are capable of doing so.

everyone ive seen here in the wild, wich are hundreds and hundreds of purp. ssp. purp. are all growing in either strait Sphagnum or off of an old stump floating in the water covered in sphagnum.

No....as far as I know, no sarracenia grow anywhere near limestone...or are capable of doing so.

I've seen in some photos there are often many stones ..
even if they are in the peat bogs.
So a bit of lime does not create problems?

I've seen in some photos there are often many stones ..
even if they are in the peat bogs.
So a bit of lime does not create problems?

Not all stones contain lime....some stones do not leach minerals so easilly.

Not all stones contain lime....some stones do not leach minerals so easilly.

yes but the Sarracenia species bear the limeston in wild?

yes but the Sarracenia species bear the limeston in wild?

No..as far as I am aware....the stones found in Sarracenia habitats are realatively inert, and leach very few minerals at all...so no..Sarracenia do not grow in places where limestone is present.

No..as far as I am aware....the stones found in Sarracenia habitats are realatively inert, and leach very few minerals at all...so no..Sarracenia do not grow in places where limestone is present.

ok..then there are the stones that are all inert ..
limestone or not.
thank you

marf,

Why do you want to use limestone? (if thats what you want to do). Don't risk using it if that is what you are going to do. They don't really need any rocks to grow succesfully.

Last edited:
Limestone is bad for Sarracenias and other carnivorous plants because it raises the soil Ph too high into the Alkaline end of the scale and carnivorous plants like Acidic soil best.
DO NOT USE LIMESTONE.

no no quiet.
I wanted to know how come I see pictures of Sarracenia with stones.
So I asked this question

no no quiet.
I wanted to know how come I see pictures of Sarracenia with stones.
So I asked this question

That may have something to do with the fact that almost no matter where you go on earth, you are going to find stones....some are inert, some are full of easy to leach minerals, but there are stones EVERYWHERE.....so of course you are gonna see them in Sarracenia habitats, but the ones found there are not made of limestone...Limestone is a rock made mostly of calcium carbonate....the rocks found in Sarracenia habitats are made of other less harmful elements.

i know here in WI, you can find S. purpurea growing in alkaline wetlands, known as fens. I've been wanting to snag a few seeds from one and see if they'll grow in typical conditions. It's just that I'm on the opposite end of the state where the fens occur and rarely get down that way.

i know here in WI, you can find S. purpurea growing in alkaline wetlands, known as fens. I've been wanting to snag a few seeds from one and see if they'll grow in typical conditions. It's just that I'm on the opposite end of the state where the fens occur and rarely get down that way.

please, do not collect from the wild.:-(

Back