What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Seedlings!

GrowinOld

Not Growing Up!
Back around July of last year (7/10), I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of some Sarr'y generosity :-)).

In an effort to spread his love of Sarr's, Yann sent me a number of newly sprouted Sarr seedlings. Opening the package, I found a wad of LFS, which upon closer examination revealed a tangled mess of miniature Sarr plants. The fist sized wad contained about 60-80 tiny plants, and it took one afternoon to divide the clump and plant the viable plants into a couple of garden starter trays. If you could call them plants at that point, as they were not much more than a strand or two of roots attached to small 1/4-1/2" long pitcher like leaves.
(Yann did an amazing job getting this many little plants to sprout & grow as well as he did, and I hoped to not let him down by killing them all off in one fell swoop!)

They have since been transplanted once, and will likely again soon.

Well, here is a couple of pictures of their current environment, with a portion of the plants showing (sorry for such poor pics). Some may note a few other plants growing in amongst them.
S-2.jpg
S-4.jpg

The largest plants are about 12" tall, and some have been recently overwhelmed by an unexpected overgrowth of Sphagnum moss. Here are a few of the plants shot individually. As they are (to me) all unknown crosses, possibly pure-bred or just total mutts, you can still see some nice parentage showing in a few of them, and as more begin to mature, they are indeed showing some highly desirable and excellent traits and color!
S-5.jpg
S-7.jpg
S-6.jpg
S-8.jpg
S-9.jpg
S-1.jpg
PPitcher.jpg

Not bad looking for about 10 months growth!
I do want to say "THANKS" again to Yann, for his wonderful generosity, and also his confidence in me not to kill them all off! (I actually only lost a few early on, and was surprised the rest did as good as they did.) They certainly are maturing a lot faster than I had experienced in the past, and many indeed look a lot older than they actually are. (I attribute a good part of it to the great start Yann did with them!)

And for those of you who may ask, they have been growing indoors for nearly their entire lives. (Nearly, as in that the first week or so after I got them, they were temporarily grown in a greenhouse exposed to the sun el'natural, until I could prep them and relocate them indoors.)
Thanks to Yann also, for helping to renew my love of growing Sarr's! (I can't give you all the credit for that, but indeed the majority!)
:water:

amazing! That's basically all I can say!

Can you enlarge the pics?

:0o:
Very awesome pictures and spectacular growing!
Mine haven't done nearly as well as yours :blush:
:hail:

looks like you've got a real winner there in that dark red leuco hybrid

Looks great Paul, some of those are starting to be promising. Glad you're enjoying them.
Thanks for the update, be sure to keep us up to date long term!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words from you all....
and indeed a few of them are really showing some very nice traits. :-O

And French, I just can't believe how big they got in under a year! :0o:
Thanks VERY much for ALL your help! :hail:
Never too old or experienced to learn more!

Now, if only I can get my VFT seedlings to grow like that!
:water:

Kool Whip!

You mentioned that you grew these indoors, what kind of light do you use and how long each day?

Nice Plants!

I would love to see more photos as these are all promising! All of em look great. The first ones like a glowing ufo lid. The one 5th to the right on the bottom is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting.

Small update nearing their birthday!
I am not sure exactly, but I believe that these plants are nearing their first birthday! Not a bad size for only one years growth from what I can tell.
SarrShelves.jpg

I recently read a post here where someone was expressing their opinion & sharing their knowledge to someone new who asked about growing plants indoors. The person "giving out advice" went on about how one shouldn't ever try growing plants like Sarrs & VFT's indoors under lights as it wouldn't work, & how these plants should only be attempted outdoors where they belong.

While everyone does have different experiences, I would like to say that from what I can tell, one CAN grow Sarrs indoors under lights quite well if they know what they are doing & with a little bit of luck, patience & some good equipment. Whether it is actually "better" to grow them under artificial conditions however, is not what I am addressing, but simply that it can be done. :-O

I myself, am amazed at how well these young plants have grown
I do have some other, more mature Sarrs, growing in the greenhouse that I will post pics of later. Indeed, having a good amount of light (sunlight or artificial) certainly does miracles!

Very nice looking!

what is your growing setup?

My setup...

The newest seedlings & close to age older siblings are in a large(2'Wx4'Lx18"H), fully automated terrarium that runs 3 light fixtures (4' -2-lamp @ fluorescents). From there the plants are moved onto one of my rack shelves (when they grow too tall for the terrarium) with about 26" headroom. You can't see from the photo, but about a half dozen have begun burning their heads on the lights (at this point, either 2 or 3 fixtures or one 4'- 4-lamp T-5 fixture.

The plants are coloring up as good as plants do that are nearing late summer in full sun. Much better than I had planned when setting it all up. If I had the room and money, the results have been so good that I would do this sort of set-up all over the place for all my plants if I could. While the outdoor plants do gather their own food (and make pigs of themselves), I can still feed the plants indoors quite well, however this is the only aspect that I haven't automated!

I do have one plant flowering already, however I can say for certain that it wasn't a straggler that was more mature & inadvertently moved in with these, although it is in the same potting setup that I did just for the newbies. Either way, I didn't expect this fast of growth. Although it has been a good year (or so) for my Sarrs, so that may have something to do with it also.

I also have a couple mature plants that just sent up a few 3' pitchers already! They were decent size divisions that I got just last year. I am surprised at their growth also, but then they did come from a terrific grower, so I know they are good stock. Perhaps that has something to do with it too. Pic shows me holding a yardstick (on the right) next to one of the plants. Indeed it has been a good year for them!
Sarra-1.jpg

I will try to post a few more pics of some of the more attractive plants (unknown mutts) when I can. Indeed, I expected a bunch of common "dogs" to grow, but it turns out that acquiring a group of "mutts" isn't such a bad thing at all! Wanting & getting a "named variety" is great, but growing some unknowns can be just as rewarding... maybe even more! When you see the pics you will know what I am talking about!

Thanks for looking.
Take care all,
Paul :water:

Any updates on these seedlings? :D I'm sure many others would like to see the progress they have made! They look absolutely beautiful!

wow Paul! Amazing as always. Man! I have these random bunch of seedlings that are like 3y since I germinated them. Shows how ideal conditions can do wonders. man! I have so much to learn.

6895008128_93a4a99156_z.jpg

Small update nearing their birthday!
I am not sure exactly, but I believe that these plants are nearing their first birthday! Not a bad size for only one years growth from what I can tell.
SarrShelves.jpg

I recently read a post here where someone was expressing their opinion & sharing their knowledge to someone new who asked about growing plants indoors. The person "giving out advice" went on about how one shouldn't ever try growing plants like Sarrs & VFT's indoors under lights as it wouldn't work, & how these plants should only be attempted outdoors where they belong.

While everyone does have different experiences, I would like to say that from what I can tell, one CAN grow Sarrs indoors under lights quite well if they know what they are doing & with a little bit of luck, patience & some good equipment. Whether it is actually "better" to grow them under artificial conditions however, is not what I am addressing, but simply that it can be done. :-O

I myself, am amazed at how well these young plants have grown
I do have some other, more mature Sarrs, growing in the greenhouse that I will post pics of later. Indeed, having a good amount of light (sunlight or artificial) certainly does miracles!

The plants I start from seed are grown indoors for up to two years. I used to use T5s which are great on a 16-17 hr photo period (some recommend lights on 24/7), tray method-rainwater, dilute indoor outdoor Osmocote pellets (not recommended unless experimenting and you know how many pellets per cell or pot size, Brittnacher published a paper on this in ICPS-I'll find it later-I use his recommended NPK ratio fert pellets). I currently grow from seed using T8s moved a little closer to the lights because T5s are being used for other growing. No dormancy within the first two years and plants will get big quick. I then repot because cells or pots usually root bound by then, move to bogs or greenhouse for first dormancy.

Looking great Paul. Hope to see more.

Any seedling updates?

Back