What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus art

Most years around this time, I notice some of my Cephalotus have formed some odd-shaped leaves / pitchers (actually, they are usually some combination of the two. John Brittnacher did an informative write-up on Cephalotus pitcher development over here for those interested.) In 2008, I posted these. This year is apparently a banner year for their creativity & the unusual formations - as I discovered while I brought my 'outside Cephs' up from the basement. The first three are variations on the two-horn theme:
Cephdeformation4041911RS.jpg

Cephdeformation2041911RS.jpg

Cephdeformation5B041911RS.jpg

Cephdeformation7042011RS.jpg

Cephdeformation8042011RS.jpg

Did anyone notice the flower stalk just emerging in the 3rd pic? I believe it's the 2nd one from that pot so far. :awesome:

This next pitcher was the one that made me get out my camera. It reminds me of a mouth distorted in a grotesque grimace of pain - but without the rest of the face. It's somewhat tough to visualize so I tried to snap pics from different angles:
Cephdeformation3A041911RS.jpg

Cephdeformation3B041911RS.jpg

Cephdeformation3C041911RS.jpg

Cephdeformation3D041911RS.jpg

Last edited:
holy cow.. what's the rest of that clump look like?

It looks like a baby bird begging to be fed :0o:

Time to worry if you hear a voice saying "Feed me!"

c00553.jpg

I looked back at the picture I snapped this morning. Would you look at that at the bottom left of the rosette...

LOL, mine is doing some funky stuff too. o_O

mutant spice worms from Arrakis LOL

Nice Ceph Ron

looks like it mated with a heli haha nice plant..

I was thinking "chest buster" from Alien.:0o:

holy cow.. what's the rest of that clump look like?
These leaves are from a container of Cephs that I summer outside with my VFTs & Sarracenia. They are in a windowbox-type tray about 8-10" deep and maybe 20" long. They've been there several years and occupy most of the tray now. Most years there are several flower stalks. Spring is usually pretty interesting with all the new growth - some deformed, some emerging flowers and some new emergences that the main plants send out under the soil.

Would you look at that at the bottom left of the rosette...
Nice pic Clue! 'tis the season...

I noticed another deformed leaf so I added it to the original post.

Let me rephrase that.. :pics:

Back