What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh Crop of Seedlings

A fresh crop of Sarracenia seedlings 40 days old
1004171800x601.jpg

Too bad they all look alike at this stage
1004167800x601.jpg

1004170800x601.jpg

1004168800x601.jpg

1004169800x601.jpg

These two FH57 cells are Brokken’s flava rubricorpora x purp venosa Montana. Hopefully they'll turn into something nice.
1004173800x601.jpg

VFT 'Big Mouth' x 'Big Mouth'
1004164800x601.jpg

1004166800x601.jpg

1004172800x601.jpg

WOW! That looks really cool! Good job with that! How many varieties of Sarrs are there in those shots? Also, what are the VFTs growing in?

You have an army!

I don't envy you when it comes time to repot...or maybe i do!

WOW! That looks really cool! Good job with that! How many varieties of Sarrs are there in those shots? Also, what are the VFTs growing in?

Thanks Isaac - There's 19 different Sarr crosses in those photos all germinating within a few days of each other. All of the Sarrs and VFTs are growing in long fibered New Zealand sphagnum moss that I push through a 1/4 inch screen to break it up. It makes transplanting much easier.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

I don't envy you when it comes time to repot...or maybe i do!

It is pretty tedious but I do enjoy it!

Aloha Fred. i need to try that with the sphagnum. I am using a peat sand mix and the VFTs don't seem to like it as much. Has been better with the sarracenia seedlings, but i do tend to use a fairly thick layer of ground LFS as a top dressing of my seedling pots. maybe it is doing the same thing? New thing to try for next bunch of seeds. I am testing indoor growing in the fall -summer season. then move them outside after transplanting. Ugh cant imagine transplanting all your seedlings

Aloha Fred. i need to try that with the sphagnum. I am using a peat sand mix and the VFTs don't seem to like it as much. Has been better with the sarracenia seedlings, but i do tend to use a fairly thick layer of ground LFS as a top dressing of my seedling pots. maybe it is doing the same thing? New thing to try for next bunch of seeds. I am testing indoor growing in the fall -summer season. then move them outside after transplanting. Ugh cant imagine transplanting all your seedlings

Aloha Mach! I do use a little coarse silica sand mixed in with the NZS just to give it a little weight but I have found that I get a better strike rate with NZS on most CP seeds that I germinate. Good luck with your indoor growing. It's a great way to keep things exciting year round. And don't worry; I don't transplant every seedling...just the ones that end up being worthy. ;)

Aloha Fred,
how do you decide which ones to keep and which ones to let go? Also what time frame?
I have several 4" pots full of things that look like this:

DSC_00110002_2.jpg

Aloha Fred,
how do you decide which ones to keep and which ones to let go? Also what time frame?

You know Mach that’s the million dollar question. “How do you decide which ones to keep and which ones to let go”? Sometimes it’s just a guess but the key is to let them get as big as you can before you make that call. Typically a year or more for me (but it certainly depends on your growing conditions, fertilizer etc.). I look for 3 things at the seedling stage: shape, color and growth rate. If they meet my criteria for all three, they’re keepers until the next round of cuts.

You know Mach that’s the million dollar question. “How do you decide which ones to keep and which ones to let go”? Sometimes it’s just a guess but the key is to let them get as big as you can before you make that call. Typically a year or more for me (but it certainly depends on your growing conditions, fertilizer etc.). I look for 3 things at the seedling stage: shape, color and growth rate. If they meet my criteria for all three, they’re keepers until the next round of cuts.

Hmmm. I will need to think about this. These guys were planted last fall. i was planning to transplant them to larger pots and then move them outside this summer. Found i could put 5 seedlings comfortably in a 4 inch pot for grow outs.

Holy %^&*! That a lot of sarrs!

I think you have enough! That's an impressive sight, even if they are only an inch or so tall.

REALLY nice looking seedlings!!!

I have a question about VFT seedling care.

I can get them to germinate fine, but then within the first four or so leaves, the new leaves become much smaller. I've tried transplanting them and that didn't work... Any ideas?

REALLY nice looking seedlings!!!

I have a question about VFT seedling care.

I can get them to germinate fine, but then within the first four or so leaves, the new leaves become much smaller.

I notice this at times also. You just have to let them grow on. Do yours eventually end up dying?

Here are those same VFT "BM" x "BM" seedlings at about 10 months. Pics taken today.
1005712601x800.jpg

1005713601x800.jpg

1005714800x601.jpg

O________________________________O *takes off sunglasses* Mother of...

Now that is impressive!

Gorgeous! :cry:

There's nothing quite like seed grown Dionea.

Great job. :)

Back